FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
Picked up a new nep today. With my first nep going through a hard recovery from cold damage I decided I wanted another one in better shape so maybe I stop obsessing over the first one. A greenhouse near me had some N alata for $5.95

What will all these little buds/nodes become?

By CpKid
That's really nice for six bucks! whenever those little buds pop up on my nepenthes, they usually turn into new growth point/vines.
CpKid liked this
By oval
Yep, they sure look like axillary buds starting to grow. It's possible that main growth point was cut/damaged so the other buds were activated. Anyway, that was a good buy!
By Mpott302
oval wrote:Yep, they sure look like axillary buds starting to grow. It's possible that main growth point was cut/damaged so the other buds were activated. Anyway, that was a good buy!
Yea I believe it was a cutting. And yea, well worth $6 to me!
By Fishkeeper
That's an amazing price!
It looks like the main growth point was damaged, see that stub at the top of the plant? It's responding by putting out basal shoots to grow in several more directions.You can either let it keep growing and get bushy, or you can let them grow to a reasonable size, cut them off, and root them.
Fishkeeper liked this
By Mpott302
Fishkeeper wrote:That's an amazing price!
It looks like the main growth point was damaged, see that stub at the top of the plant? It's responding by putting out basal shoots to grow in several more directions.You can either let it keep growing and get bushy, or you can let them grow to a reasonable size, cut them off, and root them.
I think I’ll give it some time and see how it ends up looking. If anything gets too “leggy” I’ll cut it off and root it. I have my first cuttings hopefully rooting right now so whether it goes good or bad, I’ll learn from this experience
By Fishkeeper
Don't get me wrong, it looks perfectly healthy. It just might grow into a funky shape.
If I were you, I'd almost be tempted to go back and buy up the rest of their stock, you could probably trade those to people on this forum for other species.
By Mpott302
Fishkeeper wrote:Don't get me wrong, it looks perfectly healthy. It just might grow into a funky shape.
If I were you, I'd almost be tempted to go back and buy up the rest of their stock, you could probably trade those to people on this forum for other species.
That’s not a bad idea but it was slim pickins when I went
By javaliz59
Mpott302 wrote:Picked up a new nep today. With my first nep going through a hard recovery from cold damage I decided I wanted another one in better shape so maybe I stop obsessing over the first one. A greenhouse near me had some N alata for $5.95

What will all these little buds/nodes become?

Dang! Nice score! Lucky you..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
javaliz59 liked this
Watering my Venus Flytrap

If you have no other option then you have to use t[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog Okay, I'll […]

i can order stuff online but ive already repotted […]

What's the plant name? It look like a mutant varie[…]

For you? It's any size pot you like. Just use […]

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plant[…]

This is a good read about light requirements of ca[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!