FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By King Drosophyllum VI
An issue I have always had with temperate sundews is that they always die during or at the end of dormancy. My Drosera intermedia always either get killed by mold or they die soon after growing their first leaves which always look very unhealthy. I only have 2 mature plants that survived this winter and I want to save them so I don't have to restart from seed again.

I also want to try to grow temperate Drosera filiformis but I am worried that they will do the same thing as the D. intermedia because the only one I have grown appeared from nowhere in a pot a few years ago was killed by mold while it was dormant.
By King Drosophyllum VI
Today I found a plant in one of my mini bogs which gets a lot less water than the other plants so hopefully it will do better when it starts growing. It looks better because the dormant leaves are all green compared to the ones grown on their own which have partly dead looking leaves.
By riveraXVX
we overwinter all ours outdoors here in NC have had no real noticeable difference the first two years they are beginning to come back as we speak (freakish warm weather streak has me worried tho!)
By Huntsmanshorn
King Drosophyllum VI wrote:An issue I have always had with temperate sundews is that they always die during or at the end of dormancy. My Drosera intermedia always either get killed by mold or they die soon after growing their first leaves which always look very unhealthy. I only have 2 mature plants that survived this winter and I want to save them so I don't have to restart from seed again.

I also want to try to grow temperate Drosera filiformis but I am worried that they will do the same thing as the D. intermedia because the only one I have grown appeared from nowhere in a pot a few years ago was killed by mold while it was dormant.
Interesting that you have trouble in Texas as I have trouble in Wisconsin. My problem is the intermedia die in droves from the cold. I lose at least half my plants each winter no mater how mild, sometimes I'll lose 95%. I always just treat mine as annuals and they reseed for me every year so its all good. Someday, I will have to try and get some seed from somewhere in Canada, and see if they survive better.

I would say go ahead and give the filiformis a try but get the all red verity from Florida, they seem to come out of dormancy more readily then the other types I've tried.
By King Drosophyllum VI
I once grew some red Drosera filiformis that I bought off of Carnivorous Plant Nursery which died from the cold but I had grown a few plants from leaf cuttings which where in my greenhouse and they got eaten by a caterpillar. I got my other D. filiformis from a seed which germinated in my Sarracenia purpuria's pot a few years after I bought it so I don't know what kind it was except for that it came from California Carnivores.
By King Drosophyllum VI
Huntsmanshorn wrote:Your filiformis "red" died from cold? In Texas? Huh. Maybe those arn't for you then.
The plant was small and it froze. I will probably try growing it again

Flush them a bunch of times and cross your finge[…]

What's the plant name? It look like a mutant varie[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

Hi, I can't buy Distilled water and have no rain[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

Check your water with a tds meter. Without that i[…]

One week into our contest, and here are the standi[…]

For you? It's any size pot you like. Just use […]

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plant[…]

This is a good read about light requirements of ca[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!