FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
I’m guessing it’s a few spatulatas clumped together? I have a little bog garden that is currently on a porch on the east side of my house. It gets a little morning light then indirect sunlight the rest of the day and I give the garden 4 hours from a grow light each day as well. Temperature ranges from 35-55 degrees Fahrenheit. The rest of the plants in there are VFT, purpureas, and other carnivores that are meant to go dormant. I noticed this sundew isn’t looking too good and may be dying instead of going dormant
Any suggestions on what it is and what to do with it?

By King Drosophyllum VI
They look like Drosera spatulata but I can't tell when they are in that condition. They defiantly need more light than what they are getting. Most cps are full sun plants. D. spatulata doesn't go dormant but I have grown them in a mini bog with dormant pitcher plants and vfts so I don't think that it is the cold that is the problem.
By Mpott302
Since posting this I have learned most (maybe all?) sundews do not require a dormancy period. I’ve also read people saying their sundews experience winter conditions and bounce back next spring. Not sure if I should leave it in there or pot it separately and bring it inside to a sunny window sill
By CpKid
Well, there are a few temperate sundews which require a cold dormancy. D. Spatulata is a subtropical plant however and doesn't need a dormancy, so as King Drosophyllum VI said, I think yours need more light, and maybe warmer temperatures. Btw, nice fused tooth Vft in the background :D
CpKid liked this
By Mpott302
CpKid wrote:Btw, nice fused tooth Vft in the background :D
Thanks!

I think I’ll remove them from the mini bog and bring them indoors. They can rejoin their friends in the spring when I redo the bog (the soil in there is in terrible condition)
By SundewWolf
It may also be tokaiensis (spatuala x rotundifolia) which I would assume to be more cold hardy than pure spatulata due to rotundifolia genes, but either way I would just keep it inside and treat it as a tropical, otherwise if the temp ever drops below 30 F you can potentially lose all of them.
By Mpott302
I repotted it. It’s now in 50/50 peat/perlite, receiving proper amounts of water, and I’m slowly introducing it to what will become a heavy dose of light. We’ll see what happens

By Mpott302
Hasn’t been long since my last progress pic but I’ve got a little new growth. I think I’m gonna separate them and take out anything that’s dead when spring is close. I like how they’re clumped together though so hopefully I can repot them similar to how they are now

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!