FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
Some of the pitchers are dying but I do see new ones growing. Have they simply reached the end of their life cycle? At what point do I cut the dying pitchers off? ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By javaliz59
carelerasmus wrote:Are those drying pitchers from the previous growing season??

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Not sure as these plants are relatively new.

By carelerasmus
Okei, well my best guess would be that those are from the previous growing seasom seeing as sarracenia pitchers usually stay healthy lookin' untill dormancy sets in

By javaliz59
carelerasmus wrote:Okei, well my best guess would be that those are from the previous growing seasom seeing as sarracenia pitchers usually stay healthy lookin' untill dormancy sets inImage

Thanks. Do you think I should I leave them be or cut the drying pitchers? Would it save energy that the plant is expending? This is my first season with Serracenia so am learning about dormancy especially living in So Cal where it doesn't get really cold.

By SundewWolf
Yes, they are just pitchers at the end of their life cycle. They die a lot faster if they are packed with insects as well. I usually leave them for a while, and cut them off then they are halfway brown. I will usually leave any green part though since it can help with photosynthesis for a few more months sometimes.
By javaliz59
SundewWolf wrote:Yes, they are just pitchers at the end of their life cycle. They die a lot faster if they are packed with insects as well. I usually leave them for a while, and cut them off then they are halfway brown. I will usually leave any green part though since it can help with photosynthesis for a few more months sometimes.
I'm fighting the urge to bring them indoors (I won't). I think you're right though and will trim the brown parts of the pitchers off. Thanks for your input.

Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Just let it be. Don't overthink it man. Worst that[…]

Get a magnifying glass 🔍

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!