FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By vimetus
Hello, I'm not experienced flytrap owner.

My plant's leaves are fully green. I've seen, that they should be red inside.

Also, traps are not stay up at all - they lie down as soon as they start to grow.
They even curl backward when go outside of the pot. But still working - eating animals.

Is it normal? Or, I guess, is it lack of sunlight?
It's a trap
It's a trap
2018-06-02 15.09.57.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2945 times
By Jagasian
Another visual indication that your plant is starved for light is the fact that most of the growth is on the window-side of the plant.
By vimetus
Jagasian wrote:Another visual indication that your plant is starved for light is the fact that most of the growth is on the window-side of the plant.
Thank you for reply.

I've moved it to another window in another place. It's an eastern one - hope it will help.
If it will not be enough, is it better to just setup artificial light?
By tommyr
vimetus wrote:Hello, I'm not experienced flytrap owner.

My plant's leaves are fully green. I've seen, that they should be red inside.

Also, traps are not stay up at all - they lie down as soon as they start to grow.
They even curl backward when go outside of the pot. But still working - eating animals.

Is it normal? Or, I guess, is it lack of sunlight?
2018-06-02 15.09.57.jpg
Venus Flytraps are not houseplants. Some people grow them indoors but they don't last long indoors. They need 6+ hours of direct Sun a day and indoor Sun isn't as strong as outdoor.
By penatrap
Put it outside. If you want to grow it indoors then you can try some artificial lighting - I’m not experienced with that so maybe someone else can help. The easiest way is to put it outside - windowsills just won’t cut it. VFTs are not indoor plants and should not be treated like an indoor plant.
By vimetus
penatrap wrote:Put it outside. If you want to grow it indoors then you can try some artificial lighting - I’m not experienced with that so maybe someone else can help. The easiest way is to put it outside - windowsills just won’t cut it. VFTs are not indoor plants and should not be treated like an indoor plant.
So, I've moved it to the balcony and put it on windowsill of window which is always opened. I hope it counts as outdoors.

I've also spotted, that there some breeze from time to time. Is it OK for flytrap?
By schmeg
Breeze is good: it can help prevent mold or algae build-up on top of your growing media.

But pay attention to how quickly that media dries in its new location. You may need to adjust your watering amount/frequency.
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!