FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Chris p
Thank you for having such a vast resource regarding Venus flytraps! That's said, searching the forum isn't yielding the answers I was looking for - probably my fault lol- so I thought I'd join and ask a couple of questions if I may.

I've had flytraps before years ago but with little success in maintaining. I'm trying again and hope to do better this time.

My 2 questions (so far):
1. Fed a live bug to my new plant but the bug wriggled loose several times before I could get a trap to hold it in. In the process 6 traps closed before one kept the bug locked in. (4 attempts at placing the bug and 2 triggered from another trap closing). How draining/damaging is this for my plant? All that spent energy has me worried.

2. A portion of the bugs head remains out of the trap. Will this prevent digestion or cause complications/detrimental effects?

Thank you in advance for your patience and responses.
By schmeg
Flytraps don't have a 100% success rate trapping insects in the wild. What you describe — missed opportunities, partial catches — must happen all the time in a real bog, right, without it dooming the plant?

(BTW, some folks have observed that by NOT feeding their plants bugs, they get bigger, more showy traps, because the plant is trying to attract insects.)
schmeg liked this
By Shadowtski
Chris p wrote:Thank you for having such a vast resource regarding Venus flytraps! That's said, searching the forum isn't yielding the answers I was looking for - probably my fault lol- so I thought I'd join and ask a couple of questions if I may.

I've had flytraps before years ago but with little success in maintaining. I'm trying again and hope to do better this time.

My 2 questions (so far):
1. Fed a live bug to my new plant but the bug wriggled loose several times before I could get a trap to hold it in. In the process 6 traps closed before one kept the bug locked in. (4 attempts at placing the bug and 2 triggered from another trap closing). How draining/damaging is this for my plant? All that spent energy has me worried.

2. A portion of the bugs head remains out of the trap. Will this prevent digestion or cause complications/detrimental effects?

First of all, welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of helpful people here, and a few grumpy old cranks like me. :)

Traps triggered without catching prey will usually open 1 - 7 days later, depending on age, health, number of false trips, and all sorts of other reasons.

Traps that don't seal completely around prey will usually start to digest the prey and absorb some of the nourishment. That trap and leaf might turn black and die off following that process but the plant will have absorbed the nutrients from the captured prey.

I take the long view in caring for my CP. Over the course of a year, my plants will go from looking spectacular to looking like something a dog vomited up on a hot August afternoon. If your conditions are good, don't worry. The plant will recover from temporary bumps and glitches. Always look at your growth point, where the new leaves are forming and emerging. This is the best barometer of your plants overall health and condition. Don't over-react to a temporary situation.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. I'm not a Fly Trap expert. I'm a Drosera guy who does grow a few VFTs.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By bananaman
Chris p wrote:Thank you for having such a vast resource regarding Venus flytraps! That's said, searching the forum isn't yielding the answers I was looking for - probably my fault lol- so I thought I'd join and ask a couple of questions if I may.

My 2 questions (so far):

Flytraps are pretty easy if they get the right conditions. The triggered traps that didn't catch anything won't really effect the plant -- they'll open a day or two later. It's not draining to them. Shadowski is right in that the trap with a bug partially sticking out will probably die, but it's fine.

Proper light might be the most important factor in keeping flytraps healthy. If they're kept moist with appropriate water and given plenty of sun, they'll probably do well for you.
bananaman liked this
By Big-Jack
I always keep a dull toothpick handy to shove the insect parts stuck on the outside of the trap down inside so the trap can make a proper seal. I usually have a couple natural "partial catches" every day that I have to assist.

Tweezers are also a must have tool if you like to feed your plant live bugs. You can hold the bug down in the trap until it closes and then release the bug and quickly slip the tweezers out. Give the trap a light squeeze if the bug tries to make a last ditch escape through the "jail bars" or out the ends.

Some bugs are just expert escape artists. Japanese beetles and stink bugs muscle their way out and fly off every time. Stubborn little guys.
Big-Jack liked this
By Chris p
Thanks to all for the prompt and informative replies. Very reassuring.

Indeed several traps have already reopened.

I did use tweezers to place the bug and after a few escapes I crippled the bug a bit - sounds harsh but that's the way it goes. Hobbled it enough that it could struggle but not free itself. Figured that would help to trigger the enzyme production etc.

So far so good. I've given the plant a spot in the best lighting I have in the house. Not sure when to transplant from the little plastic pot the plant came in. I'll pick up the appropriate media and a little bit bigger pot and see what you all say.

Cheers

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!