FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
Bob Beer wrote:I think acclimation is best. Deep shade isn’t going to help that. Hot direct sun may kill a lot of leaves off and shock the plant, which can slow its recovery, though I have taken Lowe’s death cube plants and stuck
them straight into the sun, outside, and had them bounce back. The danger is less inside, since ultraviolet doesn’t come through glass.

If you have an east window, I’d start with that - bright morning sun but no hot afternoon rays. Once it starts showing some growth, move it into a south window. Alternatively you could place it back from a south window (at 1.5 feet away the light intensity is half what it is at the glass). Or you could put it under lights.

I have the same Drosera, and am growing it under T5s now. It had no dew on it when I got it. Didn’t freeze it tho. ;-) I put it right under the lights. That was 2 weeks ago. Here it is now. You can still see the dew-less leaves (they usually don’t start producing dew themselves but they’re still photosynthesizing, so leave them there). Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any idea what that green Sundew be Bob? That is not like the "where you got your shoes at"
First, the adult Sundew got frozen. That's why it looks burnt. The adult acclimated just fine, just being tossed in the full sun. It was the babies that got burned. And get this... The babies grow on the underside of the adult leaves, already shaded.
My mistake was removing them from the adult and then tossing them all back in the full sun. So now I will have to do as boarderlib says and slowly acclimate them, 1 hour or 2 then a new leaf, add a hour of sun per new leaf. I am setting up a seed growing area that is partly shaded and I will likely start using it.
And Bob, I cut off leaves from the sundew and just put it in full sunlight and got strikes. They started as bright red dots.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Bob Beer wrote:I think acclimation is best. Deep shade isn’t going to help that. Hot direct sun may kill a lot of leaves off and shock the plant, which can slow its recovery, though I have taken Lowe’s death cube plants and stuck
them straight into the sun, outside, and had them bounce back. The danger is less inside, since ultraviolet doesn’t come through glass.

If you have an east window, I’d start with that - bright morning sun but no hot afternoon rays. Once it starts showing some growth, move it into a south window. Alternatively you could place it back from a south window (at 1.5 feet away the light intensity is half what it is at the glass). Or you could put it under lights.

I have the same Drosera, and am growing it under T5s now. It had no dew on it when I got it. Didn’t freeze it tho. ;-) I put it right under the lights. That was 2 weeks ago. Here it is now. You can still see the dew-less leaves (they usually don’t start producing dew themselves but they’re still photosynthesizing, so leave them there). Image

What type of Sundew is that green Sundew?

By riveraXVX
I usually try to spread my full sun time for new plants over the course of about a week +/- I leave them outdoors but after they get an hour or two of direct sun push them under an overhang to keep soaking up indirect light up it daily to full sun rarely burn anything, anything I have burnt before doing that...was fine in the end also
By boarderlib
Benurmanii wrote:
And sure, correcting nomenclature about “die-off” versus just straight dying is important, but you don’t gotta be hostile. Don’t flex your your plants unless it pertains specifically to the advice at hand, either.
I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, but I think showing my drosera that are growing outside in Northeast Ohio is pertinent to the subject matter. They adapt to living outside somehow every spring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter

Hi Bob.
I did what you said basically but instead of a inside window, I used a deep plastic storage container that doesn't let as much light in. I started with 1 hour of light and added more until I was at noon and then I put it in shade til 4pm. Then I started leaving them in full sun until noon. Adding more sunlight hours as it seemed prudent. They have acclimated and are in full sun all day now. Mine did not produce dew for a long time and is just starting now but I still have not seen it catch a bug. I guess it's just a plain spatulata. Mine has the reddish hairs also. I will get a updated picture when they are presentable. I am going to use this method for acclimating all my plants. Even the tiny pot is the same as yours.Image

By FlyTrap Hunter
boarderlib wrote:
mouthstofeed wrote:put them in a some deep shade first. they will die if you stick them directly in the sun. :(
A healthy plant will not die if you stick it in direct sun. Is it possible it will appear dead? Yes, but 9 times out of 10 it will bounce back.

OP

Start with about 3-4 hours of early morning sun then shaded light the rest of the day. By shaded I mean under an awning where it does not receive any direct rays. When you see a new leaf forming, give it an hour more direct sun. Working your way up until it's getting all day full sun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey thanks Boarderlib. When I first got the green Sundew last year it looked like plastic. It had no dew at all. I just put it right in the sun all day with no problem. But it was September so the sun was not as strong. But like I was saying, the adult was not the problem. I read somewhere if you start getting little divisions(?) from the Sundew to just leave it. It will be better if you don't detach it. Well I detached about 20 of the little ones before I read that. What I did not factor in was they don't have a root yet. So I think partly it was too much sun too fast and not enough water. And they were moved from weak LEDs to spring sunlight. Meanwhile, the little divisions that are attached to the adult are perfectly happy.
It took me a minute to reply back. I had to see progress before I could comment. I have done the early morning acclimating to noon and put them under a overhang for shade after noon. Then put them back in late afternoon sun, slowly adding more light. They are fully acclimated to all day sun now. They are happy and I am happy. And it helped for someone to give specific instructions. Thanks again for your support.
And thanks for everyone's comments. Like I tell people, I am not stupid I just look stupid. I actually am from the school of question everything... question authority... and try to avoid the "Fools Rush in" approach. I read all the comments and know what is BS without much help. But I always appreciate the people who have EARNED RESPECT from experience and share it with the new people, me included. And it's not hard to know "who" to listen to. Thanks again.
ImageLol I didn't even know all this fusing was going on.

By Bob Beer
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:

Do you have any idea what that green Sundew be Bob? That is not like the "where you got your shoes at"

-I think it’s some spathulata but it came in unidentified, some plants we had to buy to get a bunch of small Nepenthes.

And Bob, I cut off leaves from the sundew and just put it in full sunlight and got strikes. They started as bright red dots.

Yep, that’s the way it starts! Good going!

By FlyTrap Hunter
Bob Beer wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:

-I think it’s some spathulata but it came in unidentified, some plants we had to buy to get a bunch of small Nepenthes.

Yep, that’s the way it starts! Good going!

Thanks Image

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!