FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Tryner78
I have had my nepenthes ventrata for a few months now, and it seems to be somewhat healthy. However, I would like to do a plant check with some more experienced growers due to recent developments. Since I have gotten the plants, only one new pitcher has opened up while most of the previous pitchers have died.The leaves were fine, just I was irresponsible with the feeding. In the pot, there appears to be two plants, which have both produced 5 large leaves and started becoming vine like.
Recently I have noticed three things; a basil shoot, dying pitchers, and what I think are fungus gnats. The developing pitchers are not dying on the vines, they just won't inflate at all. Here are some pictures.
I fed them recently and they have been getting plenty of water. About a week ago I put them under artificial lighting
lights: 2x 18W 1325 lumen LED lights. daylight, 5000k. spotlight type.
Should I be worried? I think they will do well on the shelves I'll post about later today, along with the rest of my plants.
By Tryner78
nimbulan wrote:I would guess it wasn't getting enough light before. With the increased light levels you should get better results.
Will the light help the pitchers inflate? Also, would it be normal for the old ones to die off while the new ones are forming? Here is my new setup btw-
By samlikesplants
I can almost definitely tell you it is lack of humidity. I had two massive ventratas produce many leaves and basil shoots for two years, but had 0 pitchers in this time. About 3 months ago I put them in a terrarium with 100% humidity and now they have big inflated pitchers on every single leaf.
By Tryner78
samlikesplants wrote:I can almost definitely tell you it is lack of humidity. I had two massive ventratas produce many leaves and basil shoots for two years, but had 0 pitchers in this time. About 3 months ago I put them in a terrarium with 100% humidity and now they have big inflated pitchers on every single leaf.
Thanks, I thought that might be an issue. I'm planning on putting a humidifier in my room near the plants, as well as covering the whole thing with a tarp. I'll figure out a way to run it intermittently, maybe using a humidity sensor. Would that help? My throat gets really dry at night anyways.
By snapperhead51
Yes indeed Humidity play a very important place in the production and health of nepenthe plants m 1 important point is its self feeding no pitchers it can not feed its self adequately all though some nutrients are from roots ! in the wild the grow habits are very humid and rain cycles are all though seasonal mostly every day , will depend on your own home land climate too , as we all live in different climates and condition , me all most desert so i need different growing conditions, , you need to make wha's called a " micro climate " for you plant , that consist of, correct lighting , good water ,( rain or RO is best ) and good humidity and good ventilation ( air flow by fan or alike ) how you achieve this will depend on your grow area and what you have to spend , you can go all out or have some good thinking and make a nice set up for what suits your needs , my last G/h was 27 meters long and 5 meters wide and had over 750 To 800 neps in there plus god knows how many other plants , very hard to keep control of conditions wot so many varied plant conditions too, so for one plant should be easy making a min G/h should do for you , put nep pot in a large shallow tray , cover round the stand with some bubble wrap or plastic sheeting , and put a small fan or larger pc fan in for air flow possibly do for a quick fix many be just have a quick look at a you tube vid to see what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMu0W37ypbI in a larger st up
cheers J
snapperhead51 liked this
By AndyTheTaco
Same here, a lot of new growth/basal shoots but not pitchers

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!