FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
its alive. looks like tiny ferns. its super soft. it looks like mosser lee sheet moss but nice and alive.

what is it? can you use it in a terrarium or as a top dressing for cps. I would hope to keep it alive.
ferns
ferns
IMG_7139.JPG (464.49 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
By Rammplins
Well, you basically guessed it. Looks very much like fern moss to me, that moss likes it damp and shady though. Most CP's like as much light as you can give them, so probably not a good fit as a top dressing. I could see it going in a shady area of a terrarium though. Be careful, I believe it grows a lot faster than sphagnum, so trimming often would probably be necessary.
Rammplins liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Rammplins wrote:Well, you basically guessed it. Looks very much like fern moss to me, that moss likes it damp and shady though. Most CP's like as much light as you can give them, so probably not a good fit as a top dressing. I could see it going in a shady area of a terrarium though. Be careful, I believe it grows a lot faster than sphagnum, so trimming often would probably be necessary.
I just thought the fern moss was pretty. I enjoy digging around in the woods to see whats out there. This area is a area where the ground water pushes up and makes ponds and bogs. the water doesn't really flow out. These areas are very wet. I'm wanting to explore long leaf pine forests with heavy fern undergrowth and ground/spring water seppage and there I should find cps. we historically have pitchers, vfts and sundews. you can see the yellow pitchers from the highway in onslow county, nc. its sketchy about where I can explore anyway because a lot of the land is military or preserves. I'm just taking pictures
By Fishkeeper
If you take a snippet of the moss, you should be able to grow it in one of those glass globes, or in a wine glass. Just give it a bit of dirt to grow on top of, that should do the trick.
Fishkeeper liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!