Fern like Moss ? looks like sheet moss

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here
Fly Trap Hunter

Fern like Moss ? looks like sheet moss

by Fly Trap Hunter » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:51 am

its alive. looks like tiny ferns. its super soft. it looks like mosser lee sheet moss but nice and alive.

what is it? can you use it in a terrarium or as a top dressing for cps. I would hope to keep it alive.
IMG_7139.JPG
ferns
IMG_7139.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 592 times

Rammplins

Re: Fern like Moss ? looks like sheet moss

by Rammplins » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Well, you basically guessed it. Looks very much like fern moss to me, that moss likes it damp and shady though. Most CP's like as much light as you can give them, so probably not a good fit as a top dressing. I could see it going in a shady area of a terrarium though. Be careful, I believe it grows a lot faster than sphagnum, so trimming often would probably be necessary.

The following users would like to thank Rammplins for this post
Fly Trap Hunter

Fly Trap Hunter

by Fly Trap Hunter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 am

Rammplins wrote:Well, you basically guessed it. Looks very much like fern moss to me, that moss likes it damp and shady though. Most CP's like as much light as you can give them, so probably not a good fit as a top dressing. I could see it going in a shady area of a terrarium though. Be careful, I believe it grows a lot faster than sphagnum, so trimming often would probably be necessary.

I just thought the fern moss was pretty. I enjoy digging around in the woods to see whats out there. This area is a area where the ground water pushes up and makes ponds and bogs. the water doesn't really flow out. These areas are very wet. I'm wanting to explore long leaf pine forests with heavy fern undergrowth and ground/spring water seppage and there I should find cps. we historically have pitchers, vfts and sundews. you can see the yellow pitchers from the highway in onslow county, nc. its sketchy about where I can explore anyway because a lot of the land is military or preserves. I'm just taking pictures

Fishkeeper

by Fishkeeper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 pm

If you take a snippet of the moss, you should be able to grow it in one of those glass globes, or in a wine glass. Just give it a bit of dirt to grow on top of, that should do the trick.

The following users would like to thank Fishkeeper for this post
Fly Trap Hunter

Return to Other Non-Carnivorous Plants