Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here
User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi,
So I got this expensive thing , I read that it likes ultra lowland conditions according to the table Nepentheace.
So where I am now, temperatures goes from 18°C to 31°C.
I water every 3 days and it's growing on a windowsill.
However it's blackening pretty fast. When I bought it, it was completely green.

I'm thinking it needs a transplant, because when I water it , the water coming from the holes smell like old grass.

Ppm it's about 6.

Any advice please ??
Thanks.
Image

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

User Avatar
HeliamphoraWalnut

 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:10 am
Location: Plano, TX
Thanked: 294 times in 244 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by HeliamphoraWalnut » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:57 pm

18 Celsius is way too cold
[Your Ad Here]
My growlist https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/heliamphorawalnut-s-growlist-updated-10-20-18-t40444.html
Follow me on Instagram @planocarnivorousplants

User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 pm

HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:18 Celsius is way too cold

Mmm guess I have to move it near a light bulb while my heat mat arrives.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 482 times in 421 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by nimbulan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 pm

I've been told they can collapse rapidly below about 16C, so definitely keep an eye on the temps. What's your humidity at?

Keep in mind that bicals a very intolerant of root disturbance so don't repot unless absolutely necessary.

User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:47 pm

nimbulan wrote:I've been told they can collapse rapidly below about 16C, so definitely keep an eye on the temps. What's your humidity at?

Keep in mind that bicals a very intolerant of root disturbance so don't repot unless absolutely necessary.

I'll keep checking, humidity is around 54- 74%
Sometimes it can get to 10%.
Also I'm not quite sure how much light should the plant be receiving.
I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.
At this moment we're at 27 ℃

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Benurmanii

 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 pm
Thanked: 410 times in 328 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Benurmanii » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:29 am

Dredd93 wrote:I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.

Ouch, that is basically nothing. Hopefully it's just that your light meter app is bad, I don't know of anything that can grow in just 200 lux. Either way, I'd look to increase the lighting you have. A good T5HO fixture will provide plenty of light and some warmth, and since lowlanders don't like super bright light, you can keep the T5HO fixture well above the bical, giving it plenty of space to grow.

User Avatar
nimbulan

 
Posts: 2046
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
Location: Oregon
Thanked: 482 times in 421 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by nimbulan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:48 am

That humidity sounds ok, but make sure you don't have any sudden drops. 200 lux sounds like typical indoor ambient light, but phone light meter accuracy can be quite poor and the measurement can be strongly directional. If the plant really is only receiving ambient light, it's going to want a lot more.

User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:28 am

Benurmanii wrote:
Dredd93 wrote:I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.

Ouch, that is basically nothing. Hopefully it's just that your light meter app is bad, I don't know of anything that can grow in just 200 lux. Either way, I'd look to increase the lighting you have. A good T5HO fixture will provide plenty of light and some warmth, and since lowlanders don't like super bright light, you can keep the T5HO fixture well above the bical, giving it plenty of space to grow.

Yes I thought the same with that phone app just use it as representative measure.
I will be getting those light fixtures thank you for letting me know the type so it can be any T5HO right?



Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dredd93 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 am

nimbulan wrote:That humidity sounds ok, but make sure you don't have any sudden drops. 200 lux sounds like typical indoor ambient light, but phone light meter accuracy can be quite poor and the measurement can be strongly directional. If the plant really is only receiving ambient light, it's going to want a lot more.


Well it's quite nice to see that humidity it's within range.
I'll be getting those light fixtures mentioned above .
Do you think that temperature is playing an important role on the pitchers not producing any fluid??

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Bluemoon

 
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:39 pm
Thanked: 17 times in 16 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Bluemoon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 pm

You'll definitely want more light than what it's getting right now. T5HO will work fine (I've grown two different bical clones under such lights), though I'm sure T8s would probably work okay as well. In my experience with good light and humidity they can tolerate down to 15C for brief periods but they are certainly not happy in such conditions. The hotter the better - mine did okay around 25C and only started thriving above 30F. 50-70% humidity is okay, try to boost it if possible. I think the main reasons it is not happy are likely insufficient light and possibly temperatures.

User Avatar
Dredd93

 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:39 pm
Thanked: 7 times in 6 posts

Re: Nepenthes Bicalcarata suffering?

by Dredd93 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Bluemoon wrote:You'll definitely want more light than what it's getting right now. T5HO will work fine (I've grown two different bical clones under such lights), though I'm sure T8s would probably work okay as well. In my experience with good light and humidity they can tolerate down to 15C for brief periods but they are certainly not happy in such conditions. The hotter the better - mine did okay around 25C and only started thriving above 30F. 50-70% humidity is okay, try to boost it if possible. I think the main reasons it is not happy are likely insufficient light and possibly temperatures.

Thank you, I'll work with the suggestions so far and post an update as it improves.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk


Return to Tropical Pitcher Plants

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests