FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dredd93
Hi,
So I got this expensive thing Image Image , I read that it likes ultra lowland conditions according to the table Nepentheace.
So where I am now, temperatures goes from 18°C to 31°C.
I water every 3 days and it's growing on a windowsill.
However it's blackening pretty fast. When I bought it, it was completely green.

I'm thinking it needs a transplant, because when I water it , the water coming from the holes smell like old grass.

Ppm it's about 6.

Any advice please ??
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
By Dredd93
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:18 Celsius is way too cold
Mmm guess I have to move it near a light bulb while my heat mat arrives.

By nimbulan
I've been told they can collapse rapidly below about 16C, so definitely keep an eye on the temps. What's your humidity at?

Keep in mind that bicals a very intolerant of root disturbance so don't repot unless absolutely necessary.
By Dredd93
nimbulan wrote:I've been told they can collapse rapidly below about 16C, so definitely keep an eye on the temps. What's your humidity at?

Keep in mind that bicals a very intolerant of root disturbance so don't repot unless absolutely necessary.
I'll keep checking, humidity is around 54- 74%
Sometimes it can get to 10%.
Also I'm not quite sure how much light should the plant be receiving.
I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.
At this moment we're at 27 ℃

By Benurmanii
Dredd93 wrote: I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.
Ouch, that is basically nothing. Hopefully it's just that your light meter app is bad, I don't know of anything that can grow in just 200 lux. Either way, I'd look to increase the lighting you have. A good T5HO fixture will provide plenty of light and some warmth, and since lowlanders don't like super bright light, you can keep the T5HO fixture well above the bical, giving it plenty of space to grow.
By nimbulan
That humidity sounds ok, but make sure you don't have any sudden drops. 200 lux sounds like typical indoor ambient light, but phone light meter accuracy can be quite poor and the measurement can be strongly directional. If the plant really is only receiving ambient light, it's going to want a lot more.
By Dredd93
Benurmanii wrote:
Dredd93 wrote: I know it's not ideal but a cheap app that shows me in luxes the amount of light reads: 200 luxes.
Ouch, that is basically nothing. Hopefully it's just that your light meter app is bad, I don't know of anything that can grow in just 200 lux. Either way, I'd look to increase the lighting you have. A good T5HO fixture will provide plenty of light and some warmth, and since lowlanders don't like super bright light, you can keep the T5HO fixture well above the bical, giving it plenty of space to grow.
Yes I thought the same with that phone app just use it as representative measure.
I will be getting those light fixtures thank you for letting me know the type so it can be any T5HO right?

Last edited by Dredd93 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dredd93
nimbulan wrote:That humidity sounds ok, but make sure you don't have any sudden drops. 200 lux sounds like typical indoor ambient light, but phone light meter accuracy can be quite poor and the measurement can be strongly directional. If the plant really is only receiving ambient light, it's going to want a lot more.
Well it's quite nice to see that humidity it's within range.
I'll be getting those light fixtures mentioned above .
Do you think that temperature is playing an important role on the pitchers not producing any fluid??

By Bluemoon
You'll definitely want more light than what it's getting right now. T5HO will work fine (I've grown two different bical clones under such lights), though I'm sure T8s would probably work okay as well. In my experience with good light and humidity they can tolerate down to 15C for brief periods but they are certainly not happy in such conditions. The hotter the better - mine did okay around 25C and only started thriving above 30F. 50-70% humidity is okay, try to boost it if possible. I think the main reasons it is not happy are likely insufficient light and possibly temperatures.
By Dredd93
Bluemoon wrote:You'll definitely want more light than what it's getting right now. T5HO will work fine (I've grown two different bical clones under such lights), though I'm sure T8s would probably work okay as well. In my experience with good light and humidity they can tolerate down to 15C for brief periods but they are certainly not happy in such conditions. The hotter the better - mine did okay around 25C and only started thriving above 30F. 50-70% humidity is okay, try to boost it if possible. I think the main reasons it is not happy are likely insufficient light and possibly temperatures.
Thank you, I'll work with the suggestions so far and post an update as it improves.

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!