FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By iamjacksplants
SerMuncherIV wrote:
Earthy wrote:
nimbulan wrote:It's worth noting that even if you were able to breed/create a plant that produces only white pitchers, it would not grow well and may not even be able to survive at all due to lack of energy.
why not? there is foliar feeding and pitcher-feeding ya?
Nutrients do not substitute for energy.
Yep. Kinda like if you or I tried to live on just vitamins and water, no food. Wouldn't work out well for very long.

-@.
By entropy81
Wow albino cephalotus. A stable plant that produced those even some of the time would probably sell for over $150 per plant.

Tissue culture the pitcher.
By katya_dog1
entropy81 wrote:Wow albino cephalotus. A stable plant that produced those even some of the time would probably sell for over $150 per plant.

Tissue culture the pitcher.
I'd imagine triple that number, at least for a mature plant... A really nice location data'd plant will sell for hundreds, not even thinking about such an awesome characteristic.
By earlgrey
Since we're talking about white pitchers, here is my N. Talangensis x Macfarlenai
uploadfromtaptalk1445615941619.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445615941619.jpg (400.41 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
Here's is a white pitcher
uploadfromtaptalk1445615845186.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445615845186.jpg (301.67 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
earlgrey liked this
By katya_dog1
Aha! Very good! Do you by chance have anything like an Albomarginata or a Pitopangii that you could show us?

See, for Nepenthes, white pitchers are fine because that's just an extension of the green leaf structure.
By iamjacksplants
katya_dog1 wrote:Aha! Very good! Do you by chance have anything like an Albomarginata or a Pitopangii that you could show us?

See, for Nepenthes, white pitchers are fine because that's just an extension of the green leaf structure.
So, in keeping with that assessment for a moment, do you suppose that if a Ceph had an "albino" pitcher, and thus less chlorophyll, but green leaves still.. perhaps it would be able to live, maybe even well if it was frequently fertilized and or caught lots of bugs..?

Cheers,
-@.
By katya_dog1
A tendency.

Like fused tooth, for example. It tends to produce fused traps only some times of the year, IIRC. So, let's say you have a Cephalotus that produces white pitchers in the spring and summer, when it comes out of dormancy. All the rest of the year it produces green pitchers.

By the way, I haven't had a Cephalotus long enough to say when most of the non-carnivorous leaves are produced. Mine has produced exactly zero since I received it. So, I haven't a clue as to how many are produced.

It would be more likely, I think, to have a plant that would produce them all year, from time to time. So, in one month, you might get one white pitcher, in another month, you might get two or three, and in another month, you might get zero.

As far as I know, Cephalotus only have a tendril type thing that the pitchers are produced on....? I can't see it with mine because it is very bunched-up. But even so, I don't think that tendril would have enough photosynthesizing capability to sustain continuous white pitcher production.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!