FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By benastyy
dutchplantlover wrote:Woooooow i would live to have one of those.
What are they? Albino cephs?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk
i believe it's a genetic mutation, it just happened my luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By katya_dog1
Ah yes, Rob Co's amazing pure white Cephalotus pitcher! Wouldn't it be simply amazing to have a plant that produced those milk-white beauties on a regular basis...
By benastyy
katya_dog1 wrote:Ah yes, Rob Co's amazing pure white Cephalotus pitcher! Wouldn't it be simply amazing to have a plant that produced those milk-white beauties on a regular basis...

Heck yeah! Isn't there a way to extract the specific genes to continue to get white cephs?

By SerMuncherIV
benastyy wrote:

Genetic mutations are permanent changes to an organism's genome, and are likely not the cause of this phenomenon. It's more likely that certain clone(s) of Cephalotus in cultivation naturally have the genes that develop these white pitchers under some condition or stimulus that has not been discovered so far. Extracting DNA from that white pitcher won't do anything, since you're getting the exact same DNA from the plant that produces normal pitchers for the majority of the time. You'd have to isolate the gene that is responsible for the white pitchers and somehow get it to become active all the time.
By benastyy
SerMuncherIV wrote:
benastyy wrote:

Genetic mutations are permanent changes to an organism's genome, and are likely not the cause of this phenomenon. It's more likely that certain clone(s) of Cephalotus in cultivation naturally have the genes that develop these white pitchers under some condition or stimulus that has not been discovered so far. Extracting DNA from that white pitcher won't do anything, since you're getting the exact same DNA from the plant that produces normal pitchers for the majority of the time. You'd have to isolate the gene that is responsible for the white pitchers and somehow get it to become active all the time.

What about something like this? This would be awesome

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/an ... electricit

By iamjacksplants
:o :shock: WOW!
By nimbulan
It's worth noting that even if you were able to breed/create a plant that produces only white pitchers, it would not grow well and may not even be able to survive at all due to lack of energy.
By iamjacksplants
nimbulan wrote:It's worth noting that even if you were able to breed/create a plant that produces only white pitchers, it would not grow well and may not even be able to survive at all due to lack of energy.
...unless you could get it to produce white pitchers, but somehow it's leaves remain green... not likely, but.. since we're fantasizing anyway...

Cheers,
-@.
By Earthy
nimbulan wrote:It's worth noting that even if you were able to breed/create a plant that produces only white pitchers, it would not grow well and may not even be able to survive at all due to lack of energy.
why not? there is foliar feeding and pitcher-feeding ya?
Earthy liked this
By katya_dog1
Earthy wrote:
IIRC, plants have to have a certain amount of chlorophyll before they simply cannot sustain life. One of the reasons that yellow VFTs grow slowly and require a lot of care is because of that, I think. Also, more than a few yellow VFTs simply die as seedlings because they literally can't grow. And chances are, if there are a lot of seedlings, a person isn't going to notice much because seedlings tend to have a yellow tinge when young, at least in my experience.

Note that it would be more likely to get a plant that had a tendency to produce those pitchers, as that way, you would get the occasional cool pitcher but otherwise the plant would be plenty vigorous.
katya_dog1 liked this
By Astral_Revenant
A beautiful pale pitcher of the night. Even if its a genetic mutation. I guess, one day, botanists will figure out how to keep them that color or find more ways to change there coloring. That goes for all carnivorous plants as well. Its kind of fun, trying to get them to appear differently. I like what the savage garden book states, that in the future, there will be gargoyle carnivorous plants(From all the clones, hybrids & all) ;)
By SerMuncherIV
Earthy wrote:
Nutrients do not substitute for energy.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!