FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cadorn
When it finally got fairly sunny and warm (in the 60s) I put my neph out on the eastern-facing porch. (They have been inside my house on humidity trays all winter.) It got down into the high 40s/ low 50s at night. Suddenly brown showed up on the leafs! Sunburn or cold burn? I have moved them into my enclosed sunroom, but now worry about 1) if a disease has set in, 2) permanent damage, and 3) how to reintroduce them safely outside. HELP! After having them survive the winter, to loose them now would be VERY frustrating. Thanks for any and all help!
Connie
Attachments:
Neph brown.jpg
Neph brown.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
By SundewWolf
Its more likely sunburn, but dropping into the 40s if it's not used to it probably worsened the condition of the leaves as well. You don't need to worry too much, as its not a disease and the damage wont get worse, but the leaves will not recover. I would probably wait until the low temperatures are warmer, then put it outside in a more shady location.
SundewWolf liked this
By cadorn
Thanks! It surprised me how sensitive they are, since I have Saracena and Purple Pitchers out and they are doing great. (In full sun, no less. They are even blooming!) But I won't risk putting the Neph out until it stays in the mid 60s at night AND even then, will put it under the porch roof so it only gets VERY indirect sun. But at least it isn't disease AND it is not terminal - THANK YOU for the reassurance!
Connie
By killerplants4realz
Yes lowes has sand and peat. Get all natural peat no fertilizer. Fertilizer will kill your plants. What kind of CP and where in NC? You have to be more detailed on what plant you have jschneider. Good luck.
Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

I said the cuttings some of them just kind of die.[…]

I recieved my seeds, yay! Thank you, ChefDean Sen[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!