FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By kevin KG
Hello, I want to ask about the condition of my orchid
Some days ago I was bugged by some ants that crawling over my orchid. I search the internet that ants is not a problem but my be indicating aphids. So I looked at my orchid more carefully but didn't find any aphids. Instead of aphids I found these problem:
- some leaf are wrinkled
- there is some yellowish spot on the leaf
- some of the leaf have black spots

So can anyone tell me what's wrong with my plant?

By Vern
I don't have much experience since I only started caring for orchids recently. But the brown spots and yellowing of the leaf are reminiscent of a situation I had with a bacteria/fungal infection, the appearance of black-brown spots. Areas where brown or black seem to creep along the leaf or stem or crown. It spread quickly with water on its leaves, and the condition seemed to lessen when I started to spray with hydrogen peroxide, but the orchid died on me anyway.

I am not sure about your ant problem, perhaps the aphids are hiding under the media line?

Until you find out what is your problem, I would keep the plant dry and spray, and wipe off any excess water after a while.
Vern liked this
By jmoore3274
What type of orchid do you have there?

What is it potted in? Bark?

How often are you watering?

Also try not to let the leaves stay wet for too long especially if you are growing indoors. The water will collect between the leaves and the stem which can cause bacterial infections and rot. The yellowing can be from too much light but the wrinkled leaves tells me there is a root issue. There might be a chance that you have over watered the plant causing it to lose it roots or it has been under watered.

When I changed potting medium to hydroponics clay pellets, a little bit a sphagnum moss potted in a net pot (for maxium root air flow) I was having under watering issues and something similar happened. You should inspect the roots to see how they are fairing. Are they green and healthy, silver and limp or mushy?

If the orchid loses some leaves don't fret too much. Your orchid looks healthy for the most part but as long as you correct the issue, stop any rot, fix the under or over watering issues it will send out new growth that should put out new roots. When I water I try to let the substrate dry out some which can be hard to judge because in the bottom of most pots the bark or media can still be wet while the top is dry. That the main reason why I switched to net pots.

Let us know how the roots look. If they are healthy but slightly under watered they should turn green when wet but not all species do this.
By kevin KG
it's dendrobium and I don't pot it. I just hanging it with a wooden planks and some cocopeat

I water it once a day in the evening

The new leaves are fine now but still have some yellow little spots like on the first and second pic

The roots look healthy for me, its whit with the tips green-ish
By jmoore3274
Yes your roots sound good. Maybe the orchid was just adjusting to its environment. As long as you have good roots you will have a healthy plant.
jmoore3274 liked this

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it?

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!