FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Vern
This is an older picture and the plants in here have long been separated into their own separate pots. But I'm curious to know what kind of sundew is the one in the far upper right corner. Is it a D.spatulata? The larger one I'm guessing is a D.capensis, right?

Also I would like to propagate more of the smaller one, since I'm curiously fond of it. I've heard a leaf cutting will do, will putting a few cuttings in wet sphagnum stimulate rooting?

By fattytuna
Like the others said, it looks like a spatulata.
To propagate it, either let it flower (it will produce hundreds of seeds by itself) or take a leaf cutting.

I personally prefer the water floating method for leaf cuttings. What you do is cleanly cut off a leaf and place it, sticky side up, in a jar of distilled water. It doesn't matter if its submerged, but should float. I find that i get more plants this way than just putting it in sphagnum.

For leaf cuttings, little plantlets pop out of the leaf and its the actual plantlets that grow roots.
This is what you should get in a few weeks (image from growsundews.com)
By Vern
fattytuna wrote:Like the others said, it looks like a spatulata.
To propagate it, either let it flower (it will produce hundreds of seeds by itself) or take a leaf cutting.

I personally prefer the water floating method for leaf cuttings. What you do is cleanly cut off a leaf and place it, sticky side up, in a jar of distilled water. It doesn't matter if its submerged, but should float. I find that i get more plants this way than just putting it in sphagnum.

For leaf cuttings, little plantlets pop out of the leaf and its the actual plantlets that grow roots.
Oh, how cool! Are frequent water changes recommended if I use the float method?
By fattytuna
Vern wrote:Oh, how cool! Are frequent water changes recommended if I use the float method?
From personal experience, its not really necessary to change it too often (if at all). Once a week should be fine. Of course, if the water turns brown or cloudy then changing the water would be beneficial.

I think that changing the water every week or so will increase the sprouting rates but again I'm not sure - it seems common sense-ish to do so. Put the jar under bright lighting (morning sun is great).
By corky
from my limited experience i find root cuttings a faster way to get a large plant,just cut off a healthy root 1 or 2 inches long and just cover in live sphagnum,wet of course,i find this method quicker
Progress Pictures

I've left the window open and I can now see five i[…]

Drosera seedlings moldy

What kind of mixed drosera are you growing, @Wolfc[…]

If be careful about putting it against the shed. I[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!