FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Wolfcub258
Hey everyone! I sowed some mixed drosera seeds around 3 months ago and I now have some very very tiny seedlings. Recently the soil surface has developed some mold that it now starting to grow on the surface of some of the seedlings. Is there a way for me to safely remove this without damaging the seedlings?
By Intheswamp
What kind of mixed drosera are you growing, @Wolfcub258 ? Three months seems like a long time, but I've heard folks speak of long germination periods. It seems like with most rosettes and filiformis that usually two or three weeks is all it takes. What has been your germination environment during this time?
By Wolfcub258
Intheswamp wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:20 pm What kind of mixed drosera are you growing, @Wolfcub258 ? Three months seems like a long time, but I've heard folks speak of long germination periods. It seems like with most rosettes and filiformis that usually two or three weeks is all it takes. What has been your germination environment during this time?
They’re already germinated thankfully, it’s just the soil on top has started to grow some fluffy white mold and that’s starting to cover the plants themselves. Was looking for a way to get it off without killing the very tiny seedlings
By Wolfcub258
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 am Hit them lightly with a fungicide. I use Bioadvanced 3 in 1, and it works well for that.
Thanks! I’ll give that a try
By steve booth
What are your conditions? mould is normally associated with bad ventilation, it could be as simple as increasing the ventilation to get rid of it without intervention.

Cheers
Steve
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
What Steve said ^^^^^.
What is the environment? Sealed container? Open container? Temperatures? Humidity? Etc.,. Without adequate air-exchange there's a good chance of a bad environment.
By Wolfcub258
They were under a plastic cover to increase the humidity inside. I’ve used fungicide on them and they’re doing well again now
By steve booth
It'll be the plastic cover that caused the mould, rarely do any carnivorous seeds need a cover to increase humidity, as they should be in direct contact with a wet medium making their microclimate very humid.
Cheers
Steve

As y’all know I spent a silly amount (for my[…]

Yeah I need a few more buckets anyhow. I’m g[…]

B52 closed at nothing?

There are about 3 of these heavily affected traps.

Out of curiosity is there a reason not to grab lik[…]

Do you have an aphid issue? If so I would get […]

I lose one or two tall pitchers every year to stro[…]

Strange. I sent SASE out well over a week ago. I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!