FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Finally i'm the proud owner of a H. Minor, it is a very gorgeous Heli!!!! the seed grown VFT has amazing giant traps and it looks alike to royal red, i will put a unique name for it but haven't decided yet.
Thank you Matt for both plants, they both look amazing, and what a nice card you have now! :)
Overall as always, excellent packing, excellent plants! :)
Few questions, i know H. minor stays small, but about how much should i expect the pitchers to be? it appears not a whole lot from what i have read about H. minor, but i haven't seen pics of an adult one, is there any pics or any dimensions you could give me so that i could have an idea how a mature heli minor looks like!
Thanks!!

A very nice pic:

ImageImage

The VFT:

ImageImageImageImage
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Few questions, i know H. minor stays small, but about how much should i expect the pitchers to be?
They don't get very large. Those are mature pitchers on your plant and the largest mature pitchers I've seen on my H. minors aren't much larger than that. It's a pretty compact little Heliamphora :)
jht-union wrote:the seed grown VFT has amazing giant traps and it looks alike to royal red, i will put a unique name for it but haven't decided yet.
Yeah, it almost certainly has some Royal Red genes in it. It's a really nice plant. I'm glad you like it :)
Matt liked this
By David F
Hey do you have an overall picture of your VFT, I like the traps so far :).
David F liked this
By jht-union
David F wrote:Hey do you have an overall picture of your VFT, I like the traps so far .
I don't have a pic of the whole plant, the other traps are big like the pic above but the leaves are short, it only has about 5 traps.

Matt- What temp was the VFT growing in, i don't want to immediately put it in temps of 100F-90F as i know your climate is acting different and cold, and i would like to maybe start with temps of 70F or so, what would you reccomend?
Thanks!
Matt wrote: They don't get very large. Those are mature pitchers on your plant and the largest mature pitchers I've seen on my H. minors aren't much larger than that. It's a pretty compact little Heliamphora
Yeah, I noticed that, because it certainly looks like an adult one, or with adult pitchers! :)
It is very pretty, thanks! :)
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Matt- What temp was the VFT growing in, i don't want to immediately put it in temps of 100F-90F as i know your climate is acting different and cold, and i would like to maybe start with temps of 70F or so, what would you reccomend?
Highs during the days lately have been in the 50s or 60s. Night time lows in the 30s and 40s. It angers me every time I think about it :)

I'll bet that the plant adjusts just fine to your greenhouse though and starts putting out a lot more traps. As you mentioned, it has only made a few this spring so far.
By jht-union
Matt wrote: Highs during the days lately have been in the 50s or 60s. Night time lows in the 30s and 40s. It angers me every time I think about it

I'll bet that the plant adjusts just fine to your greenhouse though and starts putting out a lot more traps. As you mentioned, it has only made a few this spring so far.
Wow, that is very low. Ok, so i'll just leave it there but in the bottom shelve of the greenhouse for 4 days, then another 4 days in the second shelve, then in the first shelve permanently to get all the light, i think that within a 3 week period, the plant should start to throw big traps everywhere!
By the way i named it Scarlet Iris, scarlet for red, iris as in rainbow since the leaf has a variation of red, green, and parts of yellow! :) ( i haven't decided well on the name, any help naming this beauty would be appreciated!)
By Matt
jht-union wrote:Ok, so i'll just leave it there but in the bottom shelve of the greenhouse for 4 days, then another 4 days in the second shelve, then in the first shelve permanently to get all the light, i think that within a 3 week period, the plant should start to throw big traps everywhere!
I'll bet it does put out some nice big traps for you fairly quickly after settling in.
jht-union wrote:By the way i named it Scarlet Iris, scarlet for red, iris as in rainbow since the leaf has a variation of red, green, and parts of yellow!
Very nice!
By jamez
Nice Plants! JHT, there are questions you don't have to post and you can find your answers without having to wait for an answer. A forum search, Google, or Google Images.

I just found this by searching" Adult Heliamphora Minor":

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 40&bih=809
By jht-union
jamez,

Thanks for the link, i have seen that pic before, but really doesn't tell you much about it, i see something way too big from what i have read about H. minor, pics often tend to exagerate a bit if you don't know how to take them, or in this case, if not compare with something, it might look like it is the biggest thing on earth when it really isn't.

Perhaps with the search you have made, can you give me some exact dimensions on how tall, wide they get, i would really appreciated as i haven't been able to find this, it appears they only grow a few centimeters.

Thank you!
By Daniel_G
Congratson your new plants!
That Heliamphora looks great! And that Flytrap is definetly unique!
Good luck with them!

Order received. Your order number is 1651. I'll PM[…]

if nobodys said it yet ive found a pressure spraye[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!