FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
Hi all,
I recently acquired a P. ehlersiae x moranensis (sethos or weser) and I've planted in an osmocote enriched garden soil and sand/perlite mix (1:1:2 perlite:sand:soil). I've heard that Pinguicula like being fertilised and decided to use an osmocote mix after reading good reviews from John snapperhead51. I've only had the plant for 2 days so I can't say how it will grow in the long-run, but it's already producing dew on its leaves.

Does anybody else use nutrient-rich mediums?
By Arthur Dent
Hmmm... I have always avoided those like the plague for all CP use, hadn't heard that pings might benefit from it. I hope you keep us posted, I'll be very interested in how this works out.
By Grey
It's been reported that Mexican Pinguicula can benefit from occasional fertilization, particularly orchid fertilizers which are nitrogen rich. I'm not entirely certain as to whether or not using such an enriched soil mix would work for the plants long-term, but it would be very interesting to see how things go. Thank you for sharing this, I hope you'll keep us updated. :)

While I'm not using a nutrient-rich mix at this time, I am hoping to add crushed egg shells to my mineral mix to give the some of my plants a boost. I've also considered soaking the mix in orchid fertilizer prior to potting and doing a comparison, but am undecided as of yet.
By w03
I've heard that mexican pinguicula tolerate high nutrient levels much better than most other CPs, but I haven't heard of anyone growing them in garden soil.

However, I have heard of people growing Cephs in miracle-gro...
By bvalente
The plant looks great! I have just recently started getting into Pings and they're really beginning to grow on me. They're very subtle plants compared to other CP but that's what adds to their beauty.

I am interested in how they do in a more general planting media than a CP media!
By fattytuna
It's been over a month and the plants show now sign of decline. They are growing slowly, and new leaves are not as large but I think that that is due to it's non-greenhouse growing conditions. New leaves look very healthy.

I would definitely encourage those with a few spare plants to try out fertilised mixes. These are the only pings I have so I don't have any other plants to compare with.
By MotherRaphaela
I think I read somewhere that Osmocote is fine for pings, but that other fertilized soils don't do as well. I'll try some Osmocote myself; I'm not willing to experiment with my pings yet; but I'm glad you did!
By fattytuna
The large plant is beginning to flower now. The leaves are a bit smaller and hardly dewy, although I've been growing them in relatively low humidity on a bright windowsill and I haven't fed them at all. The small plantlets have grown noticeably. There doesn't seem to be any sign of chemical burning.

fattytuna liked this
By fattytuna
Hey all. Unfortunately, I've lost interest in CPs but this plant is still growing happily in the original fertilised soil despite heavy, heavy neglect. It's been maintaining its size in lieu of any feeding at all (not even sure it produces dew) for the last half a year. It gets 1 hour of patchy morning sun and bright window light for the rest of the day. Watering is sporadic at best, it can survive dry soil well. It's even flowering right now. Happy to report that this soil mix will definitely work for this hybrid of Pinguicula.

Sorry for the long awaited update guys unfortunate[…]

Thank you :D I really love how pretty it is.

So I’m pretty hooked on these plants, and I&[…]

1637 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

May bonus

For May, it's going to be a carbon copy of April, […]

Flower stalks for sale

Updated list.

Anything I can do? How much light? Water, leave ba[…]

From my personal experience, I would not order fro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!