FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Steviebpm
hi everyone

I recently purchased some vft seeds and they have started to sprout but they look nothing like ones I have seen in pictures! I am new to this and have no experience but always fancied growing some fly traps.

Can you take a look and tell me.

Thanks
Stevie :)
Attachments:
20200512_175431.jpg
20200512_175431.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 5581 times
By Benny
100% fake. Seems like you got the China Scam...
Try buying a mature plant first. It is much easier.
Steviebpm liked this
By uxleumas
here's a tip: if ANY titles have the word "Bonsai," "Rare," or "rainbow," don't buy (with the exeption of rare sometimes, it might be real. bonsai should only be in bonsai kits, and i have not seen any rainbow plants up to date )
if it has too many adjectives, ignore it
when the deal seems too good to be true, it prob is.
By Steviebpm
Benny wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:05 pm 100% fake. Seems like you got the China Scam...
Try buying a mature plant first. It is much easier.
Yeah after reading through a few forums it seems I've been sold fakes. Oh well I only spent £2 on them. I'll maybe go for a mature plant. Any good recommendations to purchase online? I'm in UK. Scotland

Thanks
Stevie
By Steviebpm
uxleumas wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:17 am here's a tip: if ANY titles have the word "Bonsai," "Rare," or "rainbow," don't buy (with the exeption of rare sometimes, it might be real. bonsai should only be in bonsai kits, and i have not seen any rainbow plants up to date )
There was no mention of rare or rainbow or anything else. Only described as vtf seeds.

Also only spent £2 so no big loss. I'll look into buying an adult one
By Shadowtski
Yeah after reading through a few forums it seems I've been sold fakes. Oh well I only spent £2 on them. I'll maybe go for a mature plant. Any good recommendations to purchase online? I'm in UK. Scotland

Thanks
Stevie
There is a UK based CP Forum: https://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?act=home

If you check that one out, someone will probably be able to point you to a reasonably priced source in your own country.

Good growing,
Mike
Steviebpm liked this
By Benny
Steviebpm wrote: Also only spent £2 so no big loss. I'll look into buying an adult one
Another issue. Flytrap seeds should cost 25-50 United States cents each.
By crazy_carnivores
moral of the story, only buy seeds from actual nurseries. (don't buy anything from china) :lol:
Steviebpm liked this
By Apollyon
uxleumas wrote:here's a tip: if ANY titles have the word "Bonsai," "Rare," or "rainbow," don't buy (with the exeption of rare sometimes, it might be real. bonsai should only be in bonsai kits, and i have not seen any rainbow plants up to date )
Truth. Even with "bonsai" the fact is that's an exploit as well. They are all typical tree seeds. Bonsai is just the style and approach to growing them. People will pay 20 bucks for a kit with 20 seeds total from 5 species but you can etsy 100 seeds for the same price or get them from a nursery. I'm skeptical with seeds in general online unless they're coming from someone who I know has the plants. I'd wager a nursery that offers carnivorous plants would be the way to go if you aren't interested in harvesting you own first.
By Steviebpm
Thanks for the information folks! I kinda thought something was up as soon as they started to sprout up.

I got them from ebay as a small projexr for myself and my young son. I'm no expert in any kind of plants but read enough online to know that basics of looking after VFT.

I think we will look into getting an adult plant to start with 👍
By Steviebpm
Benny wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:56 am
Steviebpm wrote: Also only spent £2 so no big loss. I'll look into buying an adult one
Another issue. Flytrap seeds should cost 25-50 United States cents each.
I got 10 seeds for £2. That is 20pence each. So around the same as what you would pay in the US. The seller i bought from had years of great feedback and lots of happy customers.

I'll know from now on haha thanks for your advice. I think we are going to buy an adult pant now.

I shall post updates and hopefully we can keep a nice healthy one here in sunny Scotland :lol:
By Steviebpm
crazy_carnivores wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:57 am moral of the story, only buy seeds from actual nurseries. (don't buy anything from china) :lol:
Unfortunately it was from a reputable UK seller. I did know about China fakes before hand but the seller had years of great reviews and lots of happy customers 🤷‍♂️
By Benny
Sadly, that is true nowadays. It is hard to get real flytrap seeds, even for one that seems trustworthy. I would not buy carnivorous plant seeds from anywhere other than in person so you can tell for sure, or from the larger, more trustworthy online nurseries. Ebay and Etsy and those shady "carnivorous plant" sites should be avoided.

Matt and Leah just got some plants in stock here. Hurry, all the good plants sell out quick!

Good luck!
By Steviebpm
I've actually just this minute bought one from this guy https://www.hantsflytrap.com/ I'll keep you all posted on how it goes and if I need any tips I know where to look 👍

Thanks again folks
By Steviebpm
Image[/img]
Attachments:
Happy with my purchase... wish me luck
Happy with my purchase... wish me luck
20200520_143650.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 5238 times
sanguinearocks101 liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!