FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
One of the pitchers on my Serracenia fell over. It's full of bug parts. Did it overeat? I'm checking all the boxes: bog garden, distilled water, correct soil. This was fairly new plant and came potted so not recently transplanted. I kept it inside few days under grow lights as it was excessively hot outside but is now nice and warm so bog garden is on my patio to get sun and bugs I hope. What am I missing or is it preparing to go dormant?Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
Sometimes a bug will chew its way out and this kind of thing happens. Also, I've had things chew there way in and this happens or it could be rot from all the food created a weak spot and it tipped into that spot. Although unsightly, not a big deal.
By javaliz59
Huntsmanshorn wrote:Sometimes a bug will chew its way out and this kind of thing happens. Also, I've had things chew there way in and this happens or it could be rot from all the food created a weak spot and it tipped into that spot. Although unsightly, not a big deal.
Thank you for your input. Glad to know it wasn't something I did.

So leave it be?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By Toady
This is a normal part of a pitcher's life cycle. Sometimes, rot or the sheer weight of prey will cause the pitcher to fall over.
By SundewWolf
This is a normal occurrence for sarracenia during periods with lots of insects out. The pitchers fill up and then start to decompose due to the insect load. Don't worry it's good that it got extra nutrients, it will use it to shoot up some great pitchers next season. It's like a flytrap shedding it's old leaves. Sarr pitchers tend to flop over later on in the season before dormancy anyways as well. Just cut it off once it starts to turn brown.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!