FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By lyrabela
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nurse him back? I received Jeff at a Plant fair. He was supper small and cute. Then he grew at an alarming rate. He graduated to a soup cup and then a half water bottle (I was poor) within a month or two. Never once had a problem, he was super healthy. He is such a sturdy plant as we had even duck-taped him to the window at one point in time so he could get more light and I think that was the healthiest he ever was. He just kept growing and growing, so I had got him a real pot, and trimmed him so he would stop growing. (I am pretty sure he is like a fern or tree or something that grows super tall hahaha) Now its about 3 years later and he is sick. I don' think he will survive. Not sure what is wrong but he is dying at an alarming rate. I checked for bugs, and checked the soil, but everything looks good. Now his leaves look like something is eating at them. I don't think I have a picture of him healthy though he is down to a third to a half of his leaves in this picture:
Attachments:
Sorry that its blurry
Sorry that its blurry
20130922_170225.jpg (13.37 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
He is balding :(
He is balding :(
20130819_221134_LLS.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
By lyrabela
I have a spray that I sprayed that has pyrethrins in it. I double checked but I didn't see piperonyl butoxide listed. I sprayed it a couple days ago, but I haven't seen a change.
By senti
I think from your photographs that Jeff is a Ficus benjamina, these plants really hate and I mean hate being moved .. They can drop all their leaves overnight if move to a position they are not happy with. Keep them out of drafts that will make then also drop leaves.

They can also be attacked by Scale mites .. They will need removing with a cottenbud soaked in alcohol..

Never use any polish or leafy shine on them .. It will burn the leaves.

Hope he's doing ok .. And if he is not a Ficus, please accept my apologies
Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank. Free s[…]

Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!