FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
I have been avoiding taking my Sanguinea Orange outside because it has 3 vines 5+ feet. Today i gave it a trim and i just put the cutting in 1020 trays of spag i am saving for shipping CP's.

Will this work? I do have one node under the moss.

Lost my shade tree so built this 10x3 table last week.
Supercazzola liked this
By camsdad66
Hi optique,
I'm no expert, but I would say the cuttings look pretty good, just watch the direct sunlight, don't want to burn them while they are trying to establish themselves. Also keep them damp, of course. If they dry out, they probably won't make it.. More than likely some will strike. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

optique, Supercazzola liked this
By DragonsEye
One buried node should be fine, two is often better as it give you an additional spot for root formation. Now as for the rest .....

1) I would cut off 1/2 of each leaf. This reduces transpiration (water loss through the stomata of the leaves) which can be important since you don't have any roots to uptake water.

2) I would tent/surround the tray(s) with plastic. Unless you have very high humidity (and I have no idea if you do this early in the season), you want to keep them in high humidity to reduce transpiration until roots have formed. You can leave the top of the tent partially open so excess heat can escape.

3) Especially if you do "tent" them, the moss should be damp/lightly moist not sopping wet. (Not saying you have it really wet as there is really no way for me to tell from the photo, but just a "heads up".)

NOTE: This is simply advice based on my personal experience. As with any advice, your mileage may vary.

Also, resist the temptation to tug on the cuttings to see if they have rooted. Failing to resist could result in your destroying fragile newly formed roots. Generally, once you see new leaf or stem growth you can be confident that rooting has occurred. You can then gradually harden the plants off to tolerate normal humidity.
optique liked this
By optique
I plan on leaving them outside on that table. My weather is pretty friendly to rain forest type plants in the summer.

the 2 node cutting are over a foot long i could not imagine trying to bury 2 nodes.
Supercazzola liked this
By DragonsEye
optique wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:23 pm the 2 node cutting are over a foot long i could not imagine trying to bury 2 nodes.
Ah, I see. The vines on my neps tend to have shorter internodes.
By Supercazzola
optique wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:24 pm I have been avoiding taking my Sanguinea Orange outside because it has 3 vines 5+ feet. Today i gave it a trim and i just put the cutting in 1020 trays of spag i am saving for shipping CP's.

Will this work? I do have one node under the moss.

Lost my shade tree so built this 10x3 table last week.
The table is fantastic. Do you have plans you can share ?
By optique
Supercazzola wrote:The table is fantastic. Do you have plans you can share ?
lol, well someone down the street put a wood swing set on the side of the street and my dad had a roll of wire just sitting around for like 20 years. So picked up some 2x4's and some cheap plastic roofing stuff and that's what i ended up with. The back or south side the roof has a over hang to block the sun.
Supercazzola wrote: Image

Could be a dormant node waking up. Could it also be a flower stalk starting ?
didn't think of that, i hope so
Supercazzola liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!