FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
Do Neps change their pitcher size in winter? Or are these "upper pitchers"?
This pitcher just opened and I can't remember if the pitchers continue to grow after opening or if they stay the same size.
The Miranda still is developing slight red pigmentation on the new leaves so I'm thinking it's getting enough light, but I'm not sure.
Attachments:
mirandaOct 019.JPG
mirandaOct 019.JPG (317.08 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
mirandaOct 018.JPG
mirandaOct 018.JPG (375.53 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
By roarke
First, i think that the peristome (the ,,rim,, or the ,,lip,, of the nepenthes) will develop further downwards, than after that you will see if the pitcher grows more bigger. In the winter, indoors too, the pitchers will grow slower and not that big like in the rest of the year.
By SundewWolf
@SnapTraps ; No, I grow my Neps in about 70% LF spagnum 30% perlite.

@roarke. I will wait a bit longer to see if it continues to grow to a normal size. I wasn't entirely sure if it was the wintertime causing this, because it seems to be getting enough light, insects, and I even fertilized with diluted orchid fertilizer it a few weeks ago.

As for the upper pitchers theory: I didn't post a pic of the whole plant...but the stem is slightly larger than 2 feet tall now. Idk if that info has any impact on the upper pitchers theory. I'm not sure when upper pitchers develop or if this new pitcher is one.

If this is an upper pitcher, then I assume the basal growth will produce big "lower pitchers"... correct? If so, thank god I didn't separate the basal.
By Snap Traps
SundewWolf wrote: thank god I didn't separate the basal.
You can't separate them if you tried. They are kind of like runners, which you have to cut off and root if it haven't got a root system (which is usually the case). What is this deal about the pitchers anyway? Are they getting bigger or smaller?
SundewWolf wrote:@SnapTraps ; No, I grow my Neps in about 70% LF spagnum 30% perlite.
The colour of the medium look too light. Is the plant getting enough water?

It looks like a healthy plant overall so I shouldn't be worried if I were you :) .
Snap Traps liked this
By SundewWolf
Snap Traps wrote:
You can't separate them if you tried. They are kind of like runners, which you have to cut off and root if it haven't got a root system (which is usually the case). What is this deal about the pitchers anyway? Are they getting bigger or smaller?

The colour of the medium look too light. Is the plant getting enough water?
Cutting off and rooting it was what I was planning on doing, but not anymore. I don't know if the new pitcher is getting bigger or not, right now it's still smaller than the older ones. I will wait a few more days and post a pic when it looks fully developed (Lip folded over, full coloration, etc.)

I have also let it dry out frequently and maybe bit too much, but the thing is the top sometimes is dry, but further down the medium is moist. I thought it must be getting enough water since the bottom 3/4 of the medium are always moist. It's just the top that dries out fast. Although..maybe it is getting dryer than i realize sometimes..idk... would this be a possible cause of smaller pitchers?
By Snap Traps
SundewWolf wrote: I have also let it dry out frequently and maybe bit too much, but the thing is the top sometimes is dry, but further down the medium is moist. I thought it must be getting enough water since the bottom 3/4 of the medium are always moist. It's just the top that dries out fast. Although..maybe it is getting dryer than i realize sometimes..idk... would this be a possible cause of smaller pitchers?
It could be one of the contributing factors. The pitchers may also get smaller if it have too much food or fertilisers given to it.
By SundewWolf
Snap Traps wrote:
It could be one of the contributing factors. The pitchers may also get smaller if it have too much food or fertilisers given to it.
Really? I've fed the old pitcher really well (3 palmetto bugs, about 5 big spiders, crickets, etc.). I assumed they would get bigger not smaller because of nutrients...but I guess the opposite could be true too...it's getting enough food so it doesn't have the need for such large traps?
By Snap Traps
SundewWolf wrote:it's getting enough food so it doesn't have the need for such large traps?
Low humidity is another cause. Move it away from any radiators.
By SundewWolf
So here is the final pitcher size. It turns out its almost as big as the old one, and a little wider too. Maybe I thought something was wrong because it took way longer for this pitcher to develop than they do in the summertime.

I also included a picture of how tall the plant is now. The leaf with the new pitcher is the one on my fingertips.
Attachments:
NovCarnivores 005.JPG
NovCarnivores 005.JPG (256.75 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
NovCarnivores 006.JPG
NovCarnivores 006.JPG (222.92 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
NovCarnivores 007.JPG
NovCarnivores 007.JPG (338.42 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!