FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Zays_Eaters
I picked up some trays from lowes this afternoon but is it too shallow? The trays are maybe a half inch tall but im not sure if the pot is sitting deep enough in the water. The bottom is definitely wet, but is it enough?

By Jaws
Should be ok, but you may have to top up frequently in a hot spell.
Jaws liked this
By Zays_Eaters
Jaws wrote:Should be ok, but you may have to top up frequently in a hot spell.
It hasn't gotten too hot here yet, I think it topped out at 60F today. But since im living in NC im sure things will heat up soon. Maybe I need to be on the lookout for you a deeper tray?
By nimbulan
The tray depth will keep the soil wet just fine but during the middle of the summer, it's likely to dry up very quickly in full sun. During the hottest part of the year my inch deep trays will only last a day or so.
By omnipercp15
Check your local dollar store (including chain stores) for those oil drip pans. They are about 2-3" deep (or more) and hold water nicely for the pots. Several have lasted more than 1 year but even if not, I just get a few more next year for another $1 each. When I say lasted, it's not because of weathering that they got brittle and break apart (like some plastic items left out for 1 year), but rather some other conditions, such as hail storm hitting them and making cracks.

For other plants, I also have found similar trays (like the one in your pics) at $1 stores, too. Those definitely feel less durable and cheaper but if the planter is not moving around much, it could fit the bill on some planters.

Order received. Your order number is 1675. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1674. I'll PM[…]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome dude!!

hmm, should i flush them then let them dry?

Is your "grow area" lined with reflectiv[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Ok. Thank you very much, everyone!

I'd like to see how normal traps look on that plan[…]

Hey everyone, I'm starting to sell the majority of[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!