FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
I know nothing of Nepenthes, but in The Savage Garden Peter grows a nepenthes, a butterwort, and a cape sundew inside on a windowsill. The nep looked fine. As to sarrs, I read also in The Savage Garden that your plants ought to go into dormancy between Halloween and Thanksgiving, and come out as early as Valentine's day but no later than Easter. Sometime in between is good for my flytraps so I get maximum enjoyment out of them.
Thank you for the quick response, I plan on adjusting all of my dormant photoperiods in accordance to a more natural lighting where they would be. The environment their currently are in will have to suffice until I can get them outside when the last of the freezing weather is gone.
Bottom line: Leave the Sarrs outside. They need the dormancy for the above stated period of time. However, protect them from hard freezes. But as soon as dormancy is over, I would bring them inside and stick 'em under the light. As to the neps, if you have enough space under the LED, put them there. Wherever they get ideal growing conditions, light to temps. If they need cold nights they might do better by the windowsill.
The Sarracenia actually are doing pretty well, the initial snow might shock them but after a while it begins to insulate them from the freezing wind chill. If I need to, I have some patio furniture covered with some tarps, I can place them under there. It wont protect much from the temperatures but it will provide some insulation and keep them from the snow. So far the Nepenthes like the window sill, they loved it during the summer months but now direct sunlight is scare because of the snow and constant clouds, sunlight is rare during the winter in Michigan :cry: When I get the LED I will leave them under the 18hr photoperiod and see how they adjust.
By bvalente
Dionae wrote:Thats a nice setup B! Im interested to see how the T5 performs in flower. Like those roots.
Thanks Eric! They are growing pretty thick and the picture doesn't do them justice. Next week when I change the water and nutrients again I will post a better picture. My new baby Jalapeno are developing quite nicely too :D
bvalente liked this
By roarke
Maiden wrote:I grow my pepper plants under 2 48 inches 54w 6400k Tubes only, and they thrive :)

No very sophisticated setup is needed from my opinion. Sorry for your lost :(

Here my bhut jolokia pepper plants
When your plants gonna give you peppers ?
By Maiden
Around january 2015

For that hybrid, its 120 day after the germination
By bvalente
I don't grow any bhut jolokia peppers, they honestly intimidate me. I love spicy food but a habanero or trinidad is about the hottest I will go. I plan on using them for salsa, seasoning, rubs, etc.
By Maiden
Trinidad scorpion is VERY hot also ;) i have seeds here but i never sowed them. Probably next spring with my carolina reaper(world hottest). Like you i want to make salsa, hot sauces and grinded flakes for pasta !
By xr280xr
Well as long as we're on the subject, here's a ghost pepper hot sauce recipe I've made through a few rounds of trial and error. I based it on averages of several habeñero recipes I found and I was trying to recreate a "habañero" (tastes more like Scotch bonnets to me) caribbean hotsauce I have but with ghost peppers. I think it still needs some tweaking but it came out pretty good the last time. If you are sensitive to spiciness, you'll probably want to only add a tiny bit to regular salsa/dip/whatever and wear gloves when making it. My wife can't be home when I make it or heat it either cause she starts coughing and it hurts her eyes, so be cautious.
Code: Select all
20-30                peppers
1 1/3 c. + 1 tsp     white vinegar
2                    cloves garlic
1 1/5 tsp            salt
1/8 c                brown sugar
2                    small carrots
3 tbsp               lime juice
1 tbsp               oil
1                    onion
I think I sauteéd the sliced peppers, chopped onion, chopped carrots, and crushed garlic in a sauce pan in the oil. Then blended them up in a food processor with the lime juice, and vinegar. I did it really smooth cause I wanted a sauce, not a chunky salsa. Then put it back in the sauce pan and add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 20-30 min.

This made about two of these:
HotSauce.jpg
HotSauce.jpg (172.82 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
Which is a lot and may be too much if you can't take the heat! I have a bunch of scorpion peppers in the freezer I've been meaning to try this with. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.
xr280xr liked this
By roarke
Maiden wrote:Around january 2015

For that hybrid, its 120 day after the germination
The plants from the photos how much will they grow in size until setting fruits ? And how long is the root in size ? I have 3 fluorescent lights. One of them is for non-carnivorous plants, the other 2 lights are for C.P. Between one light and the other two lights, there is a gap of about two human palms side by side. A pepper plant will grow without problem in the space between ?
By Maiden
Thanks xr280xr!

I will try that for sure. But just to be sure, its 20-30 peppers or grams of peppers?
And what kind of oil ?

roarke wrote:
The plants from the photos how much will they grow in size until setting fruits ? And how long is the root in size ? A pepper plant will grow without problem in the space between ?
I dont know, i dont know and i dont know lol

Its my first hot pepper plants. I guess it depend of the species and the way you grow them. I think the bhut jolokia are mostly bushy, time will tell ! :)
By bvalente
xr280xr wrote:Well as long as we're on the subject, here's a ghost pepper hot sauce recipe I've made through a few rounds of trial and error. I based it on averages of several habeñero recipes I found and I was trying to recreate a "habañero" (tastes more like Scotch bonnets to me) caribbean hotsauce I have but with ghost peppers. I think it still needs some tweaking but it came out pretty good the last time. If you are sensitive to spiciness, you'll probably want to only add a tiny bit to regular salsa/dip/whatever and wear gloves when making it. My wife can't be home when I make it or heat it either cause she starts coughing and it hurts her eyes, so be cautious.
Code: Select all
20-30                peppers
1 1/3 c. + 1 tsp     white vinegar
2                    cloves garlic
1 1/5 tsp            salt
1/8 c                brown sugar
2                    small carrots
3 tbsp               lime juice
1 tbsp               oil
1                    onion
I think I sauteéd the sliced peppers, chopped onion, chopped carrots, and crushed garlic in a sauce pan in the oil. Then blended them up in a food processor with the lime juice, and vinegar. I did it really smooth cause I wanted a sauce, not a chunky salsa. Then put it back in the sauce pan and add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 20-30 min.

This made about two of these:
HotSauce.jpg
Which is a lot and may be too much if you can't take the heat! I have a bunch of scorpion peppers in the freezer I've been meaning to try this with. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

I like this recipe, I will have to give it a try! A buddy of mine gave me some venison I want to use my food dehydrator and make a rub to make some jerky! My habanero just started budding some flowers so I can get some peppers soon, my jalapeño still has a while :lol: I got a good jalapeño salsa recipe I'll have to tell you about :D
By bvalente
Here is the ingredients I use :mrgreen: Amazing. For extra spice, add another jalapeño

plum tomatoes (5 roma, seeded and chopped)
10 green onions
2 jalapeno chilies (fresh, seeded)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro fresh
2 tbsps fresh lime juice
2 tbsps hot pepper sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
bvalente liked this
By Maiden
Nice nice ,:-)

I will use my own hot peppers for the mix, a way hotter than jalapeño. What do you recommand? Maybe 1/4 pepper?
By bvalente
Maiden wrote:Nice nice ,:-)

I will use my own hot peppers for the mix, a way hotter than jalapeño. What do you recommand? Maybe 1/4 pepper?

I would start off with 1/2 and adjust it from there honestly. Even if its a little too hot, the flavor of the entire salsa tastes really good. Also, when you blend it, do so to your desired consistency. Smoother salsa= blend longer at a higher speed.

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

He gets direct morning sun until noon/1pmish then […]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!