FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Brokechef1
I just received my D. Capensis and D. Filiformis from another site. I could've sworn that bought the soil and pots. NOPE! They're bare root and I have nothing around. No store around me has already mixed soil. I've seen DIY mixes but I don't understand half of them. Is there a "go-to" mix people use? I have a Walmart and a Home Depot close to me if that helps.
By fluffy123
There should be Meat moss at the garden center at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Brokechef1
The one that makes the most sense(to me) is 1 part perlite, 4 part Mineral Free Peat Moss with a Long Sphagnum Moss topper. Yes? No?
By Bob Beer
I use 50-50 pure peat and fine perlite. No need for Sphagnum unless it’s live and you just like that. If you can’t find fine perlite, get medium and just roll it in a plastic bag with a rolling pin or bottle, put it in a strainer and wash the fine dust out. Try not to breathe the dust (it won’t hurt you but it will be unpleasant for a while). Before planting, wet your mix in a bowl and squeeze water through it to hydrate it, it can repel water at first when it’s dry.

By Cross
Brokechef1 wrote:I just received my D. Capensis and D. Filiformis from another site. I could've sworn that bought the soil and pots. NOPE! They're bare root and I have nothing around. No store around me has already mixed soil. I've seen DIY mixes but I don't understand half of them. Is there a "go-to" mix people use? I have a Walmart and a Home Depot close to me if that helps.
I love spagnum moss. But I use peat moss and perlite. I do a 25 to 50 percent perlite to 75 to 50 peat. I hate perlite, that's my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
If you don’t like perlite, coarse quartz sand or silica pool filter sand is good too. In fact I prefer it for large outdoor plantings, but it’s hard to get in small amounts. That said, a bag of quartz sand from a builders supply company is really cheap.

By Brokechef1
CROSS! There you are. I'm doing (2) 4 in. round pots for each. How much do I buy of whatever?
By Brokechef1
I like the sand idea but I only have two small plants to pot. They will be outdoors though. Does that matter?
By Shadowtski
I second Bob Beer's recommendations.
I usually buy in 3 cubic foot quantities, but for getting started, 2 quarts of each should be OK.

1:1 peat :perlite up to 2:1 peat:perlite is a good general purpose CP mix.

Read your labels and avoid any material that is enriched, enhanced, fortified, or in any way shape or form mixed in with fertilizers.

You want plain peat moss and perlite.

It is fairly standard to ship plants bare-root.

Check out Matt's VFT care and feeding pages: http://www.flytrapcare.com
Filiformis uses the same care as a VFT.
Capensis uses the same care but it does not need dormancy, it'll grow year round.

Grow them outside in Spring through Fall and bring in for Winter if you live in a zone with hard frozen Winters.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By mouthstofeed
You should be able to find what you need, but will probably have to buy in bulk. Look for smaller bags if you don't want to store the stuff. Just peat, perlite, and sand.
By optique
rule #1
Don't Panic

sundew's can live for a very long just being moist.
plenty of time to look over http://www.flytrapcare.com
i use 50/50 - peat / perlite on my sundews.

remember to avoid brands names like miracle grow, stores like w-mart and h-depo sell very tiny bags by that brand. i have never tested them, but i read to beware.
By Brokechef1
It's not the care part I'm worried about. I'm having great success with my current trap. I have studied the care site back and forth for a few weeks now. I just didn't realize the soil type applied to anything else but Traps due to the rest of the other readings I've gone through. I might of read too much....
By Brokechef1
So I'm still reading up on anything I can to make the best mix. Why has 3 sites already said that 1:1 Peat/Perlite creates algae very easily? #reallyconfusednow
By optique
OK, i suggest getting the big 4cf bags, CP are additive anyway. i had a yard sale last week end. everyone went strait to the table i keep my CP'S on first, even had a big sign "everything on this table is not for sale" one guy even came back they next day pleading for sarracenia to put in his koi pond.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!