FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By briea
Ok so i ordered a Drosera Capensis, D. Burmannii, and Nepenthes Ventricosa. What is the best potting mixture and lighting (not sunlight because im in IN and its cold and gloomy)? Thanks
By Anymal911
I always recommend using 100% LFS for everything you can... I grow all my plants in it and it works great. As for lighting, and fluorescent lights with a color temperature of 6500k will suffice... You could get a desk lamp and put a 13W 6500k CFL bulb in it, or get a T8 to cover a larger area... Or get an LED if you feel like investing in that, but I personally don't like them because it makes the plant look weird when they are under it...
By briea
Thanks guys. Also i just found out i live in Zone 6a. Is that good or bad? What light do i use for the D.Burmannii?
By Mufasa
for nepenthes, you want to have a more airy mixture.. lfs+peat and coco chunks (i think pine bark is ok too?)
add perlite too if you have it.
By briea
Ok thanks. I bought a bag of better gro special orchid potting mix. Do i need to add anything else to it?
By Morpheus
Mufasa wrote:for nepenthes, you want to have a more airy mixture.. lfs+peat and coco chunks (i think pine bark is ok too?)
add perlite too if you have it.
I use LFS with 1/4-1/2 inch orchiata bark and #3 sponge rock (large perlite) from Kelly's Korner orchid supplies in my nep mix. I had a ventrata limp along for over a year in 100% sphag but with this mix it's pitchering like there's no tomorrow. I also mix in small pumice chunks in some of the smaller pots. It doesn't seem to particularly help or hurt them though

I mix my normal nep mix with a ratio of 2:1:1 LFS-orchiata-sponge rock and add extra LFS is the mix looks too "dry"

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!