FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
Hello everyone! I have been very inactive lately due mostly to school, but also partly because nothing that interesting has happened in the CP world lately (at least not in mine). UNTIL TODAY! I got one of those "death cube" (or is it "death egg"?) Sarracenia kits from Hobby Lobby because 1) it was less then three bucks and 2) why the heck not. It came with three Sarracenia minor seeds (at least that's what they were labeled as), a peat disk, and a micro egg terrarium. I ditched the peat and went for chopped sphagnum (I use it with every plant I own; it's the best).
I planted the seeds on July 27th. I placed them in the fridge for five to six weeks in order to stratify the seeds, and then I brought them out a few weeks ago and placed them in my seedling grow area. They were knocked over a few times, and I'm pretty sure at least one of the seeds was lost in the process (don't judge, it's impossible not to, and I try Image). But today I was misting my plants and I noticed that one of the seeds had germinated! This is my first time growing Sarrs from seed, so I was pretty happy. I will be updating this thread as the seedling(s) (hopefully) grow and develop. Enough talking, let's get on with the pictures!

Here is the terrarium:

And here is the S. minor seedling (low right corner):
(The "weeds" are Drosera tracyis... They are plant herpes to me. Image)
(I literally got one packet of seeds and they are now a plague in every single pot I have wtf)

Thanks!
Last edited by Anymal911 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Anymal911
So today I was checking my plants... And I realized there are not one BUT TWO seedlings!!! Hope I can keep them alive! Wish me luck.
Anymal911 liked this
By iamjacksplants
Good luck!

Cheers,
-@.
iamjacksplants liked this
By katya_dog1
MichaelGuardian wrote:Wow, I thought growing something from those death eggs was impossible.
Generally true. Anymal got some viable seeds apparently.
By Anymal911
katya_dog1 wrote:
MichaelGuardian wrote:Wow, I thought growing something from those death eggs was impossible.
True, but I have also had luck with one of those DuneCraft Carnivorous Creations Terrariums and LED Light Cube Terrariums. I actually got them both way before I actually knew what I was doing and I placed them on the windowsill in my room WHICH GETS ZERO DIRECT SUNLIGHT. I successfully germinated ten to fifteen VFTs from these in pure, water-saturated peat. I lost a few to mold, but I managed to keep five alive in these very unsatisfactory conditions for many months, and they are still growing to this day. I transplanted them into LFS back in August, and they are doing extremely well now. They were not in the best health, and I agree that the instructions are extremely crappy, but you cannot rule out DuneCraft as a cheap source of seeds for beginners to start their collection (as long as they know what they are doing). Just my opinion. :)

By the way, the "death eggs" are an extremely cheap source of seeds which could give you very cool plants. If you do decide to get one, make sure that you use the correct media, and check on the bottom of the package for a white sticker. This will tell you if the seeds are viable or not. Look for "Seeds tested on:" and it will give you a date; the closer it is to your purchase date, the better.
Anymal911 liked this
By katya_dog1
Anymal911 wrote:
katya_dog1 wrote:
True, but I have also had luck with one of those DuneCraft Carnivorous Creations Terrariums and LED Light Cube Terrariums. I actually got them both way before I actually knew what I was doing and I placed them on the windowsill in my room WHICH GETS ZERO DIRECT SUNLIGHT. I successfully germinated ten to fifteen VFTs from these in pure, water-saturated peat. I lost a few to mold, but I managed to keep five alive in these very unsatisfactory conditions for many months, and they are still growing to this day. I transplanted them into LFS back in August, and they are doing extremely well now. They were not in the best health, and I agree that the instructions are extremely crappy, but you cannot rule out DuneCraft as a cheap source of seeds for beginners to start their collection (as long as they know what they are doing). Just my opinion. :)

By the way, the "death eggs" are an extremely cheap source of seeds which could give you very cool plants. If you do decide to get one, make sure that you use the correct media, and check on the bottom of the package for a white sticker. This will tell you if the seeds are viable or not. Look for "Seeds tested on:" and it will give you a date; the closer it is to your purchase date, the better.

Dunecraft has obviously gotten better; 4 years ago (when I first started) it was impossible for me to germinate any of their seeds. And I did know what I was doing, used distilled water, plenty of light, etc.

They didn't use to print those "seeds tested on" in the death eggs, either...
By Anymal911
katya_dog1 wrote: Dunecraft has obviously gotten better; 4 years ago (when I first started) it was impossible for me to germinate any of their seeds. And I did know what I was doing, used distilled water, plenty of light, etc.

They didn't use to print those "seeds tested on" in the death eggs, either...
Yeah, I remember about four years back I bought about five of these, and none worked...

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!