FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By alecStewart1
Hello, gang!

I was wondering about how one might feed terrestrial bladderworts. I was looking at getting one, since I don't actually have any bladderworts in my collection.

Is there a culture of microbes one can purchase to add to water and then top water with that solution? Or is it all that necessary?
By ChefDean
With all my Utrics, I just keep them wet and in good light. Microbes will eventually populate from various sources and be a supplemental food supply.
tommyr liked this
By Bug_cemetery
They love a gross slimy water tray. If you grow any other tray watered carnivorous plants that accumulate algae etc and aren’t super concerned about the utrics invading other pots just pop them in the same tray. They are pretty sneaky about growing out the bottom of the pot and migrating around the water tray though so if you don’t like the idea of them getting into other pots you’ll want to keep them separate.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Bug_cemetery wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:49 am They love a gross slimy water tray. If you grow any other tray watered carnivorous plants that accumulate algae etc and aren’t super concerned about the utrics invading other pots just pop them in the same tray. They are pretty sneaky about growing out the bottom of the pot and migrating around the water tray though so if you don’t like the idea of them getting into other pots you’ll want to keep them separate.
Do they eat algae? I've read that utrics like "pond water" but what is that, exactly -- duck poop? polliwogs? or some other nutrient that is absent from sterile RO water...???
By elaineo
Panman wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:10 pm The like all of the microfauna that motor around in pond water.
Infusoria. I wonder if they are already in the peat that's harvested from bogs, and maybe scummy water trays allow them to proliferate. I'm traveling at the moment, but when I get back I'll inspect some of my water trays under a microscope. Unless someone else does it first :D
By steve booth
I just keep mine in my typical mix, keep it wet in the growing season, and they flourish, eating nematodes and protozoa. What they eat is so small it isn't really possible to 'feed' them, only to encourage conditions for their prey. Water trays are useful, especially if you have Sphagnum in them, I have a great growth of U. reniformis in my trays escaped from its pots. I use live Sphagnum to grow this species as the leaves so large the Sphagnum doesn't out-compete it.

Cheers
Steve
tommyr liked this
By andynorth
Mine live in an aquarium. I had to do something with them last year because I was not able to finish my pond as planned. It has gotten HUGE and I do not even feed it. I am assuming it is eating the aquarium's version of plankton.
By elaineo
andynorth wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:04 pm Mine live in an aquarium. I had to do something with them last year because I was not able to finish my pond as planned. It has gotten HUGE and I do not even feed it. I am assuming it is eating the aquarium's version of plankton.
did you seed your aquarium with any microbes? are there other things living in your aquarium?
By andynorth
elaineo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:31 am
andynorth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:29 am Did not seed with anything. There are some almost dead aquatic plants, pinwheels and a couple bog candles in with it.
What are pinwheels? I am planning to make a CP aquarium once my tadpoles move out :D
Aldrovanda vesiculosa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrovanda_vesiculosa
By elaineo
andynorth wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:34 am
elaineo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:31 am What are pinwheels? I am planning to make a CP aquarium once my tadpoles move out :D
Aldrovanda vesiculosa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrovanda_vesiculosa
oh yeah, that's exactly what i'm wanting to grow! Are yours doing well in the aquarium?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!