FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By boggyboy72
Posts:  140
Joined:  Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:07 pm
#210532
Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-704/ca ... Detail.bok


This would be my first Nep. so I was wondering how challenging these are and if something else would be better for a beginner.
By earlgrey
Posts:  161
Joined:  Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:34 am
#210629
I've ordered from them before with my first nepenthes as well. Don't be surprised when you receive a young plant. I got a N. Spectabilis x ventricosa and its doing really well right now! When I got it it only had a few leaves and no pitchers. This is a good site to order from.
uploadfromtaptalk1408948580068.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408948580068.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
uploadfromtaptalk1408948556680.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408948556680.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
In my experience, nepenthes aren't hard to take care of. You just need filtered light or shade with a minimum of four hours of morning sun. They also do better not I'm the tray method. Must always be wet but not waterlogged. Humidity helps with developing pitchers as well. Temperature drops at night are essential for highland nepenthes health. Keeping these in mind should keep your plant prospering. Check out http://www.youtube.com/nepenthesis ! He has everything you need to know about nepenthes!
By kcbugs
Posts:  539
Joined:  Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 pm
#210653
boggyboy72 wrote:Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-704/ca ... Detail.bok


This would be my first Nep. so I was wondering how challenging these are and if something else would be better for a beginner.
I'll let you know :D ! I just ordered one.

Peristomes look really nice. In my experience, so far, intermediate/highland neps seem to be really easy. I keep some outside with an east exposure, and have some indoors in a west window. All are pretty happy at the moment.
By boggyboy72
Posts:  140
Joined:  Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:07 pm
#210668
kcbugs wrote:
boggyboy72 wrote:Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-704/ca ... Detail.bok


This would be my first Nep. so I was wondering how challenging these are and if something else would be better for a beginner.
I'll let you know :D ! I just ordered one.

Peristomes look really nice. In my experience, so far, intermediate/highland neps seem to be really easy. I keep some outside with an east exposure, and have some indoors in a west window. All are pretty happy at the moment.
I ended up going with one of these because I could get a medium plant for less then the price of a small.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-901/Ne ... Detail.bok

I still may have to get a Chaniana x Veitchii though.Maybe if yours does really well you can send me a cutting. ;)
By boggyboy72
Posts:  140
Joined:  Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:07 pm
#210845
kcbugs wrote:Ventrata's are weeds. You'll enjoy it! If all goes well, I just might send you a cutting!
That would be great.

My collection isn't near as large or interesting as yours,but I do have a VFT that's not on your grow list.

Maybe when the time comes we can do a trade.
boggyboy72 liked this
User avatar
By Cory
Posts:  1149
Joined:  Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 pm
#210849
Chaniana x veitchii should be an easy grower.
Might like a little humidity though. Veitchii hates bright light so don't get to carried away with large amounts of sun or lumens.

Veitchii will also tolerate being wetter than some of the other neps will as well.

I don't think it's a bad choice for a beginner just not as easy as the normal go to neps for new growers.

Veitchii is also a slower grower so don't expect a large plant without a few years growing it
By kcbugs
Posts:  539
Joined:  Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 pm
#210851
boggyboy72 wrote:
kcbugs wrote:Ventrata's are weeds. You'll enjoy it! If all goes well, I just might send you a cutting!
That would be great.

My collection isn't near as large or interesting as yours,but I do have a VFT that's not on your grow list.

Maybe when the time comes we can do a trade.
Your growlist may not be as large as mine (yet!), but don't sell yourself short. It's every bit as interesting! I remember when all I had was a couple of VFT's, they had my complete focus and wonder. Enjoy your plants whether you have 1 or 15,000 (like Matt). They are always interesting! :D
New to live sphagnum

I have a few pots of VFT in live sphagnum. I'd onl[…]

well, at least you have basil :/ 50 cents is act[…]

Measuring VFT traps

When people talk of 2 inch traps, are they talking[…]

It frosts a lot of nights in its natural environme[…]

Today I noticed it opened up: IMG_20201025_19431[…]

venomous insect

The plant is still thriving. https://uploads[…]

real hybrid or not?

also its flowering, maybe i should start a new top[…]

Is my VTF still healthy?

I got an organic flytrap soil and always keep dist[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!