FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By boggyboy72
Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-704/ca ... Detail.bok

This would be my first Nep. so I was wondering how challenging these are and if something else would be better for a beginner.
By earlgrey
I've ordered from them before with my first nepenthes as well. Don't be surprised when you receive a young plant. I got a N. Spectabilis x ventricosa and its doing really well right now! When I got it it only had a few leaves and no pitchers. This is a good site to order from.
uploadfromtaptalk1408948580068.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408948580068.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
uploadfromtaptalk1408948556680.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408948556680.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
In my experience, nepenthes aren't hard to take care of. You just need filtered light or shade with a minimum of four hours of morning sun. They also do better not I'm the tray method. Must always be wet but not waterlogged. Humidity helps with developing pitchers as well. Temperature drops at night are essential for highland nepenthes health. Keeping these in mind should keep your plant prospering. Check out http://www.youtube.com/nepenthesis ! He has everything you need to know about nepenthes!
By kcbugs
boggyboy72 wrote:Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

This would be my first Nep. so I was wondering how challenging these are and if something else would be better for a beginner.
I'll let you know :D ! I just ordered one.

Peristomes look really nice. In my experience, so far, intermediate/highland neps seem to be really easy. I keep some outside with an east exposure, and have some indoors in a west window. All are pretty happy at the moment.
By boggyboy72
kcbugs wrote:
boggyboy72 wrote:Petflytrap.com has a 10% off sale on all Neps. and I really like the looks of the N. Chaniana x Veitchii.

I'll let you know :D ! I just ordered one.

Peristomes look really nice. In my experience, so far, intermediate/highland neps seem to be really easy. I keep some outside with an east exposure, and have some indoors in a west window. All are pretty happy at the moment.
I ended up going with one of these because I could get a medium plant for less then the price of a small.

http://www.petflytrap.com/-strse-901/Ne ... Detail.bok

I still may have to get a Chaniana x Veitchii though.Maybe if yours does really well you can send me a cutting. ;)
By boggyboy72
kcbugs wrote:Ventrata's are weeds. You'll enjoy it! If all goes well, I just might send you a cutting!
That would be great.

My collection isn't near as large or interesting as yours,but I do have a VFT that's not on your grow list.

Maybe when the time comes we can do a trade.
boggyboy72 liked this
By Cory
Chaniana x veitchii should be an easy grower.
Might like a little humidity though. Veitchii hates bright light so don't get to carried away with large amounts of sun or lumens.

Veitchii will also tolerate being wetter than some of the other neps will as well.

I don't think it's a bad choice for a beginner just not as easy as the normal go to neps for new growers.

Veitchii is also a slower grower so don't expect a large plant without a few years growing it
By kcbugs
boggyboy72 wrote:
kcbugs wrote:Ventrata's are weeds. You'll enjoy it! If all goes well, I just might send you a cutting!
That would be great.

My collection isn't near as large or interesting as yours,but I do have a VFT that's not on your grow list.

Maybe when the time comes we can do a trade.
Your growlist may not be as large as mine (yet!), but don't sell yourself short. It's every bit as interesting! I remember when all I had was a couple of VFT's, they had my complete focus and wonder. Enjoy your plants whether you have 1 or 15,000 (like Matt). They are always interesting! :D

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!