FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By ps3isawesome
I am assuming they are turning into smaller succulent leaves. So that's the cue to reduce watering. BUT MAN, they look so different compared to when they first arrived Sept and in October. Since I'm a first time grower I don't really know if i'm doing things right. So need expert opinions, thanks ^_^.

Growing Condition
I moved the Pings from a windowsill to this new set up. Under Sun Blaze 24 for 12 hours a day. The relative room temperature averages 65. Max 68 and Min 60. Humidity averages 50%.

The first picture is before and second is now.

The plants that arrived from Cascade Carnivorous back in September

P. Pirouette

P. Esseriana

P. Tina

This is from California Carnivorous and purchased in October (this one sat outside for a while, recently brought back in)

P. Lueana
By bsmith38
Hello ps3isawesome,

I believe they are all going into their succulent phase (at least the Esseriana and Tina) and you should reduce watering and possibly stop altogether until late March early April. I live in Illinois and reduce my watering starting in October before I see any growth changes and eventually stop watering my Weser and Esseriana altogether by November. You may want to reduce the amount of light because I think 12 hours is a bit much heading into the winter months. I have my plants on a east facing windowsill at school and west facing at home and they react naturally to the sunlight amount and slight drop in temperatures near the window. I have a thread further down in the 'Butterwort' section that shows the rosette changes throughout the year for my plants if you need a reference. I am sure Grey will have an opinion also so confirm with her before taking my advice!

-bsmith38
bsmith38, bsmith38 liked this
By Grey
Hey there! Those Pings are definitely entering their succulent growth state; it's surprising how different they look, isn't it? They really are beautiful plants, I can clearly see you're taking very good care of them! Here are two comparison photos of my Mexican Pinguicula, Beatrice (P. 'Weser'); one in its carnivorous leaf growth and the other, which was taken recently, in succulent.

Carnivorous (14-7-2014)

Succulent (21-11-2014)
Grey liked this
By ps3isawesome
phew, what a relief. Like you said, they do look different and I had to make sure they are healthy. Thanks for the confirmation. Cute pings Grey ^_^

I watered it a few days ago and I"ll stop around mid Dec.

Ya know, they were on a windowsill that gets direct sunlight, a lot of it. but I moved them underneath my new setup.

Although, the windowsill's sunlight is changing very fast so I can't really predict how much sun the area will cover. hmmmm.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: SASE is a self-addressed stam[…]

Cooks's is good, but the service can be a little s[…]

Rain

I agree, Mike. The pools catch pretty good even w[…]

Thank you for donating them!

with a D micrantha gemmae chaser … er, bonu[…]

Sundew in forest

Moving amphibians around is a very bad idea. That'[…]

I also keep D. affinis "Uningi Pans, Zambia&q[…]

Thank you :D I really love how pretty it is.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!