FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, I recently acquired some different gemmae from a grower and wanted to know what kind of photoperiod you guys use to "germinate" your gemmae? Does it follow a 10 hour photoperiod or do you guys put the lights on for ~16 hour cycle? Also, is high humidity necessary for the plants this early on or would they do better in the relative humidity (50%)

The only rack I have that can accomodate it's growing cycle right now is running on about 10 hours currently. The others are probably too warm for them. Any info about cultivating them would be helpful. Thank you!
By Nepenthes0260
When sprouting gemmae, definitely use high humidity. I have mine under 80%+ humidity and they “germinate” (strike?) very well, usually 100%. I have mine on an approx 14 hr on 10 hr off schedule and they’re growing pretty fast. Some rarer gemmae I planted 1.5 months ago are already a bit less than 1 cm wide now.
By ChefDean
I did the tough love approach. I sowed them on chopped LFSM and put them on an east facing windowsill. I couldn't put them outside in Tennessee Winter.
The five I did, Paleacea, x Carbarup, Scorpioides, Dorks Pink, and Omissa, all struck. I'd say I had a +/- 80% germination rate. They all did fine until I left them out in the Tennessee Summer. They all declined, except for the Omissa, until it got into the high 80's, then the Omissa went downhill too.
By Z_Y
In their natural growing season, is the non-dormant season the winter season with a shorter photoperiod?

I ask since I want to keep my pygmys with my other plants that require a variable photoseason and cooler winter temps. If the pygmys grow during winter, they'll be getting a winter photoperiod instead of a summer one.
By Apollyon
That's what I was considering their growing period, 10 hours. I didn't know if the rule applied wih gemmae or if it'd be more effective at higher periods. I'm struggling to find an ideal place to grow them. I can give them longer periods at higher temps under humidity or lower temperatures with a shorter period out in the open. I've officially run out of space to accommodate nuances lol.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!