FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mcgrumpers
I have a few little drosera anglica seedlings that sprouted in June. I've been growing them indoors under growlights and watering them using the tray method. Temperatures are 70-75 F for both day and night.

I read that drosera anglica likes to be waterlogged. Is this accurate? I've been keeping them moist so far but I wonder if I should keep it wetter?

How should I handle dormancy? Does a little seedling need dormancy during the first year or can it be skipped? If dormancy is needed, does that mean it needs to go outside/in the fridge throughout winter?

Pic:
danglica.jpg
danglica.jpg (198.15 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
By fluffy123
Drosera Anglica can stay outside in the winter, but you have to protect the pots of the temperature drops below 25 degrees Fahrenheit by taking them indoors to a garage or the temperature does not rise above freezing for a week or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By fluffy123
It this one a temperate form or tropical form of English Sundew?

By mcgrumpers
It's the temperate form. The seedling is really really small (maybe 5mm diameter). If I take it outside, it would probably get ~4 hours of sun outside (I only have access to a balcony) but temperatures should always remain above freezing. The alternative is to leave it indoors on a reduced photoperiod.

Will it experience issues if skipping dormancy for the first year?
By fluffy123
ImageHere is my Drosera Anglica in my greenhouse. Also a seedling like yours.

By Huntsmanshorn
mcgrumpers wrote: I read that drosera anglica likes to be waterlogged. Is this accurate? I've been keeping them moist so far but I wonder if I should keep it wetter?

How should I handle dormancy? Does a little seedling need dormancy during the first year or can it be skipped? If dormancy is needed, does that mean it needs to go outside/in the fridge throughout winter?
Anglica is pretty adaptable and can take it wet if that's what you have to offer or moist if you are more comfortable with that although you will get much better dormancy survival rate if you keep them a little dryer in the winter months rather than a little wetter, at least I do.

I doubt you will have much of a choice with regards to whether your plants go dormant or not, even under lights. Mine always go dormant eventually no matter what I do, although I have wondered what would happen if I gave them a 24 hour a day photo period instead of 16 or 18.
By fluffy123
I do the same too with my other temperate Sundews.

By mcgrumpers
Thanks for the info!

It sounds like I could just leave them indoors under lights and they will still experience dormancy.

Possibly a silly question, but what do they look like when they are dormant? I've seen dormant VFTs and pings but sundews are new to me.
By Huntsmanshorn
mcgrumpers wrote:Thanks for the info!

It sounds like I could just leave them indoors under lights and they will still experience dormancy.

Possibly a silly question, but what do they look like when they are dormant? I've seen dormant VFTs and pings but sundews are new to me.
Ahhh, that's not really healthy for the plant. They are temperate plants after all. Here's a link that will show you what a dormant rotundifolia looks like which is a lot like what a dormant anglica looks like. Link: https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... ateDrosera
Huntsmanshorn liked this
By mcgrumpers
I can't tell if seedling #1 looks dormant or sad as I can't clearly see a resting bud. What do you think? Pic taken through a x30 loupe:
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (207.11 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Seedling #2 looks better and still has some dew:
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (159.51 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
By mcgrumpers
They're still inside under lights! I was planning on kicking them outside at the end of the month, but skipping the first dormancy sounds reasonable. Any idea what's up with that first seedling? Looks like all the leaves are dying.

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!