FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By javaliz59
Any suggestions for how to transition my VFTs (and my Serracenias) for dormancy? I live in California zone 10a, I have no garage nor basement. I have a west facing balcony but doesn't get cold enough here to leave them outside. Should I refrigerate? Leave in pots? Do they need light? Please any suggestions would be great as it's nearly naptime for my VFTs and Serracenias. Tx in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By bananaman
javaliz59 wrote:Any suggestions for how to transition my VFTs (and my Serracenias) for dormancy? I live in California zone 10a, I have no garage nor basement. I have a west facing balcony but doesn't get cold enough here to leave them outside. Should I refrigerate? Leave in pots? Do they need light? Please any suggestions would be great as it's nearly naptime for my VFTs and Serracenias. Tx in advance.

VFTs will go dormant fine outside in all of California. Between the photoperiod variation and the cooling off that does happen in the winter, they’ll go dormant fine.

VFTs and sarrs don’t really need to be that cold for dormancy. Mine often see the 70s in the winter and stay dormant fine.
By javaliz59
Thank you. One more question... I also have a few smaller Serracenias and VFTs inside. Time to move those outside too to start dormacy? It's been in the mid 50s at night now and upper 60s - low 70s during the daytime.

By Fieldofscreams
In your climate you can grow them outside year round without ever having to do anything with them. You are very lucky.
Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Black tips on drosera regia

It's probably nothing, as the whole plant seems to[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!