FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Darlingtoniafan222
Hi, I'm new, and I was wondering if it has ever been managed. Title speaks for itself. It's my dream to grow this plant, so anybody have an idea where to get one, and if it's possible to cultivate here? I currently have one nepenthes mirabilis, and one sarracenia purpurea var. purpurea. Your help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
By Darlingtoniafan222
I should mention my temperatures don't drop very low here, but we have lots of rainfall though. It's getting colder this month, but our regular drops still dip into the high 70s at night. I don't have a pump.
By Nepenthes0260
I’ve shipped Darlingtonia seeds to the Philippines before which I believe sprouted. For cultivating cobras in higher temperature environments, I’d recommend a system with circulating water. Maybe you could have a dripper on top of the pot which is sitting in a shallow reservoir water with a pump hooked up to it, so it slowly circulates water through the roots.
Darlingtoniafan222 liked this
By camsdad66
I've managed to keep some alive short term (couple of growing seasons) here in Louisiana U.S.A. They eventually fell to the warm nights and lack of temperature drop at night, i would guess. Did well in early spring with the mild temps. I didn't mess with any water pumps or such, but if I did try them again i probably would do so. Darlingtonia is a tough plant to grow unless you have the right climate, in my opinion. Most would agree. But anything is possible, you never know. Let us know how it goes! All the best!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Darlingtoniafan222 liked this
By Darlingtoniafan222
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:50 pm I’ve shipped Darlingtonia seeds to the Philippines before which I believe sprouted. For cultivating cobras in higher temperature environments, I’d recommend a system with circulating water. Maybe you could have a dripper on top of the pot which is sitting in a shallow reservoir water with a pump hooked up to it, so it slowly circulates water through the roots.
What if I used a zeer pot with a water pump flushing the roots constantly with ice water?
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Darlingtoniafan222
Darlingtoniafan222 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:13 am I should mention my temperatures don't drop very low here, but we have lots of rainfall though. It's getting colder this month, but our regular drops still dip into the high 70s at night. I don't have a pump.
Sorry, I just realized I can buy a pump on our local online store. Apologies. 😅😅
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Darlingtoniafan222
camsdad66 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:03 pm I've managed to keep some alive short term (couple of growing seasons) here in Louisiana U.S.A. They eventually fell to the warm nights and lack of temperature drop at night, i would guess. Did well in early spring with the mild temps. I didn't mess with any water pumps or such, but if I did try them again i probably would do so. Darlingtonia is a tough plant to grow unless you have the right climate, in my opinion. Most would agree. But anything is possible, you never know. Let us know how it goes! All the best!

thx and hope you will try again. You'll be able to figure it out if you can help me. :D :D
By camsdad66
Just obtaining those plants has become tough in my experience. There was a great supplier and grower here in the USA in Oregon, but he basically vanished into thin air ! Never got the story on what happened to him. The plants are expensive, when you can even get them.

By Apollyon
It's true. They're incredibly difficult to find. I just recently planted some seeds a couple days ago and we'll see how they do. I know a guy who grew them out here and brought the plant inside when the temperatures got too warm. I'll possibly leave it outside in the fall/winter and bring them in during the summer. I'm probably going to do the zeer pot idea myself as it'll keep the root temps down about 10-ish degrees. Hopefully that'll work out alright. I would guess the hassle of fighting customers probably turns nurseries away from darlingtonia. They're getting expensive now too whenever someone has them for sale. I'll try seed grown and if they die, I can at least say I tried lol.
By Nepenthes0260
I flowered one of my adult cobras this year and pollinated it to get some seed. Now I have about 300 baby SG Darlingtonia that I’ll be able to distribute for cheaper prices in 6 months to a year.
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I flowered one of my adult cobras this year and pollinated it to get some seed. Now I have about 300 baby SG Darlingtonia that I’ll be able to distribute for cheaper prices in 6 months to a year.
These are actually the seed I got from you months ago lol. They've been in the refrigerator. I decided to make it a guinea pig for my 500ppm GA3 experiment. I think they'll sprout fine but who knows.
By camsdad66
Yep, just an amazing, elusive plant! Some people grow it with ease, others struggle. I think it depends on your climate, of course. I had luck growing some from stolon root, they took off and did well for a couple seasons. Then died late spring for no apparent reason! Tough ass plant to grow in warm climates! I'm 54, and I remember being a kid of like 10-11 years old, you could buy them in plastic bags with a little bit of sphagnum moss clinging to the roots for like 3-5 bucks....swear to God! No doubt, they were harvested from the wild (aka poached) back then. It was the mid 70s, for God's sake! Them days are gone! Also remember they were available in death cubes at Home Depot and such several years ago. No more!

By Apollyon
Haha, no doubt. Still interesting to hear they were doing that with cobras though. Then again, it's a plant that gets your attention. Deep down I hope it does work out and the plants do grow. I'll have a couple years to think about it. I hear fertilization barely works and they grow extremely slow lol. Mine will mostly have to stay indoors though. I won't have california drops but I can keep it from getting over 80 degrees. Seems like its grown like D. Regia for the most part.
By camsdad66
Good luck, hope it works out well for you. At least you probably don't have a lot of money invested.

Apollyon liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:40 am
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I flowered one of my adult cobras this year and pollinated it to get some seed. Now I have about 300 baby SG Darlingtonia that I’ll be able to distribute for cheaper prices in 6 months to a year.
These are actually the seed I got from you months ago lol. They've been in the refrigerator. I decided to make it a guinea pig for my 500ppm GA3 experiment. I think they'll sprout fine but who knows.
Oh nice lol! Lmk how they sprout with GA3. Mine sprouted fine without but yours have been in the fridge for a bit longer.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!