FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Darkrai283
I haven't posted anything for a while now as I've been busy with GCSE mocks... and with my other hobby of invert breeding. :P

Repotted

ImageIMG_5296 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5297 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5307 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5303 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5310 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5315 by darkrai283, on Flickr

Flower stalks

ImageIMG_5336 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5340 by darkrai283, on Flickr

Managed to get one stolon off

ImageIMG_5349 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5353 by darkrai283, on Flickr
Darkrai283, Darkrai283 liked this
By Darkrai283

The annual hailstorm mangled all of the old and new pitchers AND both the developing seed pods so had to cut mostly everything down. Although the new pitchers are small, they are starting to grow back again.

ImageUntitled by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by darkrai283, on Flickr
Darkrai283 liked this
By bannister
kronos1996 wrote:How do you care for your plant? Many people say it's impossible to grow...
I've found it quite easy. That or they've adapted well indoors for me.

I have bright filtered lights.
Growing in live sphagnum.
Water gets reused mostly every day.
By bannister
SundewWolf wrote:Very nice! Congrats. I guess I'm not alone with the "pink spots" on the leaves. i was wondering if that was normal.

btw What inverts do you breed?
I get red spots. I can't figure out what causes them. It's not bugs molding inside. I don't think it's red coloration. My only other theory is maybe it's an infection? Or maybe it's just a natural thing.
By Darkrai283
SundewWolf wrote:Very nice! Congrats. I guess I'm not alone with the "pink spots" on the leaves. i was wondering if that was normal.
The spots are caused by damage inflicted on the pitcher, usually caused by sucking pests such as aphids, and the plants produce anthocyanin around the wound, hence the red/pink spots.
SundewWolf wrote:btw What inverts do you breed?
-Phasmids. (Stick insects)
-Lepidoptera. (Moths and Butterflies)
-Beetles. (Lucanids/stag beetles, Dynastids/rhino beetles, and Cetonids/flower beetles)
-Mantids. Started breeding them about 8-10 years ago but had a bit of a break from them to focus on Carnivorous Plants and Phasmids....... got stuck into them again last year though. :P (There's one male Sphodromantis cf. aurea in the last two Darlingtonia photos)
By kronos1996
Tell about how you water it I hear that is tricky... BTW I'll PM you in a week after my new job starts and I might just buy that little guy off of you! They are hard to find for sale...
By SundewWolf
Darkrai283 wrote:
The spots are caused by damage inflicted on the pitcher, usually caused by sucking pests such as aphids, and the plants produce anthocyanin around the wound, hence the red/pink spots.
SundewWolf wrote:btw What inverts do you breed?
-Phasmids. (Stick insects)
-Lepidoptera. (Moths and Butterflies)
-Beetles. (Lucanids/stag beetles, Dynastids/rhino beetles, and Cetonids/flower beetles)
-Mantids. Started breeding them about 8-10 years ago but had a bit of a break from them to focus on Carnivorous Plants and Phasmids....... got stuck into them again last year though. :P (There's one male Sphodromantis cf. aurea in the last two Darlingtonia photos)
Wow! Nice! Right now I just have Helix aspersa snails, But i would like to breed stag beetles one day. The only species i've found here is Lucanus capreolus, and I was not lucky finding any this year. if only european lucanus cervus lived here lol.
How do you raise yours in terms of habitat/feeding/breeding/seperating males?/etc.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!