FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anymal911
I finally sowed some D. filiformis var. tracyi seeds I got from holyhock. I have read that some people have had 100% germination rate without stratifying them. Is it ok if I just put them under my grow lights next to my D. capensis seeds?
By SerMuncherIV
D. tracyi is the southern species of the D. filiformis complex (I could go on all day about why the proper nomenclature is D. tracyi and NOT D. filiformis subsp. tracyi or D. filiformis var. tracyi, but I'll skip the boring lecture). It makes sense that they would germinate decently without stratification, given that southern winters are far more mild than those expected by the more northern D. filiformis. You can go ahead and sow them now, the germination rate might be lower but it's not like it'll be 0%.
SerMuncherIV liked this
By Anymal911
So when someone advertises D. filiformis var. tracyi it is just actually D. tracyi? I thought it was a cross between the two lol. I just went ahead and put them on top of some sphag to see if it works.
By SerMuncherIV
Barry Rice offers a very good explanation for the nomenclature here, if you enjoy reading about 20th century Latin descriptions:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5265.html

The cross between D. filformis and D. tracyi actually has a name: D. x californica, or D. x 'California Sunset'. Rarefind Nursery has a clone of it that I've been trying to get a hold of for a while now...
SerMuncherIV liked this

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!