FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By JoshDoe
I have a tiny ceph. It had some death from transport, I repotted it. After it seemed to recover. It had 1 tiny trap that was healthy and a few small leaves. I noticed a few days ago the trap and some leaves were turning brownish. I initially thought it was turning red as it is a brewers clone. Now the trap is clearly dead. I'm wondering what I can do to save it. Here are some pics but it's so small it's hard to see what's going on so do your best and I can try better lighting later.

Note: my furnace died last week so I'm using my wood burning stove to keep the house warm until the repair guy can get out here. We have had nearly everyday with subzero temps so the temp in my house has been fluctuating wildly. Is that the likely culprit? Or I was also thinking I've overwatered it because I've heard they like less water when its cold.
Attachments:
20210210_133817.jpg
20210210_133817.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2054 times
20210210_133809.jpg
20210210_133809.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2054 times
By Apollyon
Cephs do not like tons of water, that is true. Though I've personally never overdone my plants with watering (they're more resilient than they're portrayed) one of the first things I would do would be bag the plant and keep the humidity high as Matt suggested. The more stable conditions you can give the plant, the better. Try to keep it above freezing temperatures and give it decent lighting. As Matt mentioned, they take a particularly long time to get acclimated to new environments and begin resuming growth though once it does, it is easier to tweak the other variables like humidity with less consequence.

If you bag the plant, you won't need to water it until the condensation on the inside of the bag begins to evaporate. It'll likely be a week or more if it's cold outside. On the plus side, if you get it figured out it'll be very rewarding when the plant starts really growing. Once they do start, they grow pretty quick.
Matt liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!