FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tonyUK
Hello:
I have just ordered a Drosera ~ Dielsiana it comes bare rooted will I be able to use the soil I got for my Venus fly traps?

Also I have a problem with my Departs capensis 'Alba' I fed 2 leaves about a week ago I left the
Food on for 3 days then took of the food that was left off. Today when I checked my plant about 1/3
Of my leaves at the end have started to go brown is this normal?
Attachments:
The Food I Used.....
The Food I Used.....
IMAG0308.jpg (499.49 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
IMAG0296.jpg
IMAG0296.jpg (246.7 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
some brown leaves
some brown leaves
IMAG0297.jpg (178.24 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Hope you can see the brown leaves
Hope you can see the brown leaves
IMAG0298.jpg (254.81 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
Last edited by tonyUK on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tonyUK
Thank you for your help will this happen every time I feed my plant? Also how offen should I feed my plant and how many leaves should I feed?

I have just ordered a Drosera ~ Dielsiana it comes bare rooted will I be able to use the soil I got for my Venus fly traps?
By jaester
My recommendation would be to soak any dry food used for feeding in distilled water first. Gently place on a leaf per plant and ensure the particular leaf is extra dewy. One leaf per week or every couple of weeks is sufficient, otherwise over feeding will result in leaves dying off prematurely and mold issues.
jaester liked this
By fattytuna
In regard to the soil, venus flytrap soil is fine. All carnivorous plants require nutrient deficient soil, which usually consists of a mixture of peat, perlite and sand.

With feeding the plant, only do it when it looks very dewey 24 hours a day. Feeding a non-dewey plant will harm it (From the pics, it looks good). I like to crush the pellets into smaller portions as it will probably help the plant digest it easier (although its not really necessary)

It might just be the camera (or it may just be me) but the plant looks like it needs a bit more light, where are you growing it? The brown tips are normal for an acclimatizing plant and should regulate within a few weeks.
fattytuna liked this
By tonyUK
My capensis 'Alba' has been getting around 5 hours of good sunlight. But over the last 2 weeks we have had
Lots of rain so sun has not been as good. My capensis 'Abla' still looks really nice and green and growing well except for the brown parts.

Today my Drosera ~ Dielsina arrived bear root will it be ok to leave my plant un potted till saterday when I can go shopping for a pot.
If not I can send someone out tomorrow to pick me a pot up. Also how should I leave my plant in the box it come in or on the window sill in its clear bag.
By Ras
tonyUK wrote:My capensis 'Alba' has been getting around 5 hours of good sunlight. But over the last 2 weeks we have had
Lots of rain so sun has not been as good. My capensis 'Abla' still looks really nice and green and growing well except for the brown parts.

Today my Drosera ~ Dielsina arrived bear root will it be ok to leave my plant un potted till saterday when I can go shopping for a pot.
If not I can send someone out tomorrow to pick me a pot up. Also how should I leave my plant in the box it come in or on the window sill in its clear bag.
if you have nothing to put the plant in i would atleast wrap the roots in a paper towel and keep them wet, cant guarantee it will stay alive but i don't see why it would die within the span of 2 days

i also just clean out old containers when i dont have a pot :lol: works just fine if you wash it with distilled water good enough

id say just get the pot and be safe :D

and the brown leaves just mean your plant is adjusting like the others said, just keep doing what you're doing, it will straighten out
Ras liked this
By terus01
I think it's better if you use the bloodworm pellets for bugs and then feed the bugs to the plant.

Or is it not possible for you to do so?

I find petting bugs is rather easy, especially for madagaskar hissing roach and meal worm. Madagaskar roach adult is too big for the plant, and should wait for the breeding to succeed first so there will be 1 cm baby roaches. and meal worm, it's not a worm but beetle larvae. I kept the meal worm with the pellets as their substrate in a plastic container with tight lid and never replace the pellets. Several months later, I find out they have become a 1 cm beetles and mating. a few weeks later i find very small mealworm. I'm thinking perhaps I can feed them to my drosera when they arrived later. With mealworm, I use a poor nutrition pellets, while madagaskar roach I use rich protein pellets for cat. Mealworm tend to die if feed overly nutritious.
By tonyUK
Hi
I wasn't sure if I could leave my Drosera ~ Dielsina un potted so sent a friend out Thursday
To get me a plant pot as I never had a spare pot at home.

My Drosera ~ Dielsina has been potted for about 5 days. How long will it take for my plants leaves
To open up and start making due.?
Attachments:
IMAG0320.jpg
IMAG0320.jpg (363.4 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
By Ras
not long
make sure it has light and is kept moist
you can waterlog spatulatas and they do just fine
but it looks nice, give it another week or so and it will be back to normal
Ras liked this
By tonyUK
Hi:
My Drosera ~ Dielsina is not doing to well it has been potted about 2 weeks now. I always make
Sure its well watered. I alway keep my plants on the window seal that get the most sun my other plants
Are doing well. Over the past month we have not had much sun just lots of rain. My Drosera ~ Dielsina
Was really green before I potted it now most of my Drosera ~ Dielsina has turned brown. Is there anything I can do to save it please help
Attachments:
IMAG0331.jpg
IMAG0331.jpg (467.27 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
IMAG0331.jpg
IMAG0331.jpg (467.27 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
By Ras
well, the new growth looks ok,
did you rip a root when you re-potted it? Dielsiana and natalensis are one of the droseras that often form a very long root, like a taproot , alot of times when I re-pot I notice only one root, a very large and long one no doubt but if that one root is to break the plant will feel alot of stress. and even if there are multiple roots, alot of sundews get stressed when there roots snap if they arent long enough, did you hear a snap when repoting your plant? thats a dead give away if you did
Your plant could also be reacting to sunlight or a number of different conditions its not used to, all you can really do is give it time to adjust and keep it moist, but try not to over water
what kind of water have you been giving it and what soil is it in?
Ras liked this
By tonyUK
As far as I no the roots were fine did not hear anything snap when potting. I use the soil that I got for my Venus fly traps
I was told that would be ok to use. I never socked the roots before potting as they where wrapped in a paper tale that was really wet I only
Ever use distilled water or rain water..

Should I cut off all the brown leaves or leave them?
By Ras
and also a root can snap and you not even know about it, i would just say let it recover and it should do fine
and sorry what kind of water did you say you use?
and what is the soil
is it peatmoss?
By tonyUK
This is what it says about the soil I used : This compost is suitable for Venus Flytrap, Sundews and other small carnivorous plants (Bladderworts, Butterworts, Albany Pitcher (Cephalotus). Our mix contains Klasmann medium grade sod cut Irish moss peat and ellutriated granite sand at a ratio of 4:1.

The water I used was distilled water I also used rain water when I watered it second time.

> Do I need to cut off the brown leaves or leave it? <
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!