FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By katya_dog1
Here are some pictures that I took of the seven dollar typical (though it is anything but!) and the other typical (looks like FTS purple ambush). The guy here at the farmers market in raleigh had several of the second purple ambush looking plant. I am wondering if anyone else has seen a plant like this, or if this is something new! Also some pictures of the TWO false vivipary Spathulata he gave me! He was very nice, and gave me the business card to the guy who grows them in Nashville, nc. Anyone in cary would probably want to go to the farmer's market in Raleigh-- he sells scarlet belle, capensis, and these no-name vfts. Anyway, I am quite pleased!

More pictures to come!
Attachments:
031.JPG
031.JPG (828.17 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
hf.PNG
hf.PNG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 5859 times
NOT MY PLANTS. PHOTO TAKEN WITH GROWERS PERMISSION.
NOT MY PLANTS. PHOTO TAKEN WITH GROWERS PERMISSION.
040.JPG (726.03 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By katya_dog1
Oh, and sorry for the blurry pictures and closed traps-- It is really limp and that is why the traps can close, the new trap closed, but not even fully.
By katya_dog1
Better pictures, and also a cupped trap type, though it has one regular trap.
Attachments:
NOT MY PLANT. PHOTO OF THE GROWER'S PLANT.
NOT MY PLANT. PHOTO OF THE GROWER'S PLANT.
039.JPG (888.64 KiB) Viewed 5856 times
fgsf.PNG
fgsf.PNG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 5856 times
Last edited by katya_dog1 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By katya_dog1
Yes! My brother got the one in the first photo in the first post. There were six that all had that line outside the traps, and I plan to get more soon, the guy says he will be there until the temps go down to 38 F. Needless to say, I already got the alien looking one. Seriously, the guy said what the grower is trying to do is make good looking, healthy flytraps (not the ugly Lowe's ones) available at a cheap price to discourage poaching.

He grows the flytraps specifically at the coast in Wilmington, and he says that any carnivorous plants I can grow in bulk (20 or more, probably sundews) he will buy from me! The capensis were more expensive than the flytraps, and they are weeds, this guy is really trying to lessen poaching.
By Matt
Very cool looking flytraps! Lots of flytraps, especially this time of year, develop nice coloration, but that one you have has excellent coloration.

And that Alien-like flytrap is very interesting! I look forward to seeing what it might look like next growing season!
By katya_dog1
I really need to get some open trap pictures, the color outside the traps is okay, but the inside is stunning! Even if this does not turn out to be anything special, I like it anyway. :D
By katya_dog1
D. Spathulata picture.
Attachments:
017.JPG
017.JPG (437.72 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
By katya_dog1
Yes, I was very surprised. Usually, the people who have flytraps there have a bunch of pitifully small, weak green ones, and a bunch of brown pitchers. This guy waited until they turned really red (And started with excellent seed grown stock) as well as a bunch of scarlet belle pitchers, and some capensis and spathulata. The scarlet belle are five bucks for two plants (7 inch pitchers) and the capensis are eight bucks.

One more thing I was wondering. If you take a leaf pulling off of a not-yet mature seed grown, will the pulling mature faster than the seed-grown? And more information about these plants, they are all TC'd. No clones, they all come from unnamed stock.
By katya_dog1
I plan to! Does anyone think I should just go through dormancy without taking a leaf pulling, or should I take a leaf pulling and grow it under my lights through the winter?
Sundew in forest

They won't grow in nutrient rich soil and, believe[…]

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

So I live in central Arkansas, and I want to grow […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I would give it a bit more shade but it doesn't ne[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!