FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By prpl_trtl
I live in Eastern Europe. I bought VTF in April this year and i dont know what type is this,if anyone could help? The plant growing period passed good,but i had only one month tottaly red leaves. VTF has also passed flowering period well,and gave about 120 seeds,which i planted in august and they didnt appear since now,maybe not good seedling?? Soon will be doramancy period for my plant,i think it will be successful...
I just want some comments,advices for growing. Think my plant, named Karakondzula :) could be much more healthier...

By Matt
Hello and welcome to flytrapcare! In some of the photos, your plant looks very healthy. But in others, it doesn't look so good. Which photo is the most recent?

As for advice, I'll just start with the basics:
1) Sunlight - Give your plant as much sunlight as possible.
2) Water - Water your plant with clean water only (rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water)
3) Soil - Use nutrient poor soil. Peat moss mixed with perlite or silica sand for aeration is good.
4) Dormancy - It's about time to let your plant sleep for the winter.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask. Also, be sure to check out the articles on the main site:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/
By dionaea muscipula
Hi Karakondzula (awesome name!) do you have a nick name? :D and your flytraps well VFT need A LOT of sunlight at LEAST 4 hrs of sun they more the better! water, vft need clean water, distilled,rain,or water from a RO filter is good. soil! vft need NUTRIENT POOR SOIL (no mirical grow products) a good soil mix would be peat, spagnum, silica sand and/or perlite. hope this helps!

Omar, shoot matt beat me!! why Matt why!!!
By English Springer
I'll just add a couple of points to what Matt and Omar stated:

Flowering will sap the energy from you plant which is why it may have taken a while to bounce back
Not all VFT's get red traps until late in the growing year and some none at all.

I think your plant looks fine and is probably starting to settle into dormancy..

Peace!
E.S.
By ModeratelyExcessive
Just to address your question about seedlings, they need LOTS of humidity and LOTS of light in order to germinate. The articles on the main site have good info, but to summarize, you should keep seeds in very moist media (soil) and cover them with some type of clear plastic to increase humidity. Make some holes in the plastic cover and take it off a couple times a day and fan the seeds a bit so they get fresh air.

Seeds also need about 12 hours of pretty intense light every day. They need lots of warmth, anywhere from 75-85 degrees F. Many people put their seeds under florescent light.

Even with perfect germinating conditions, seeds can take up to 3 weeks before starting to germinate. It's important to be patient with them.

(Note: I have not grown seeds before and just going off of what I've read here. If I got something wrong, someone please correct me. :oops: )
By Nickrober
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:(Note: I have not grown seeds before and just going off of what I've read here. If I got something wrong, someone please correct me. :oops: )
Sounds right to me.
By nesler
Nickrober wrote:
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:(Note: I have not grown seeds before and just going off of what I've read here. If I got something wrong, someone please correct me. :oops: )
Sounds right to me.
Yep. Seeds are frustrating, but the lights definitely help. The light really doesn't need to be intense... I'm using two 14 watt CFL bulbs, and my VFT and Drosera Binata seedlings are doing well so far.
By prpl_trtl
Thanks to all!!

The photos are added by date of my plant,and the last is most recent.
No,Karakondzula is only name i use :)
What about type of VTF, is it B52?
Next warm period will do the job for seedling,because i dont use any bulbs,just daily sulight...
By Matt
prpl_trtl wrote:What about type of VTF, is it B52?
Looks like a typical. And if it wasn't labeled when you got it, you should try labeling it with any particular cultivar name. There is already enough of a mess with multiple different clones out there circulating under the same name.
By prpl_trtl
Hey, VFT dormancy going very good, maybe ill upload some pics in future... I wonder if temperature in October 15`C and about 13`C in start of November is fine for my VFT,or it is a little too high temp for dormancy? This is indoor temp. close to window, and the temperature outside now is about 2`C, it think it will freeze if I let HER out...?
O)
By ModeratelyExcessive
prpl_trtl wrote:Hey, VFT dormancy going very good, maybe ill upload some pics in future... I wonder if temperature in October 15`C and about 13`C in start of November is fine for my VFT,or it is a little too high temp for dormancy? This is indoor temp. close to window, and the temperature outside now is about 2`C, it think it will freeze if I let HER out...?
O)
Does it often get below freezing in the winter where you are? If so, then yes it's better to have your VFT inside. They're tough little plants which can stand a few freezes, but not an entire frozen winter. If it stays above freezing, then it will be fine outside too, it just depends what you prefer.
By prpl_trtl
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:
prpl_trtl wrote:Hey, VFT dormancy going very good, maybe ill upload some pics in future... I wonder if temperature in October 15`C and about 13`C in start of November is fine for my VFT,or it is a little too high temp for dormancy? This is indoor temp. close to window, and the temperature outside now is about 2`C, it think it will freeze if I let HER out...?
O)
Does it often get below freezing in the winter where you are? If so, then yes it's better to have your VFT inside. They're tough little plants which can stand a few freezes, but not an entire frozen winter. If it stays above freezing, then it will be fine outside too, it just depends what you prefer.
Soon outside will be very freeze,and it is to expect snow,that is why SHE cannot stay outside. But maybe the temperatures inside are little high,or not?
By ModeratelyExcessive
13C is about 55F, so that's just fine for a VFT dormancy. Just be sure not to fluctuate the temperature so much while keeping it inside, such as blasting hot air during the day then turning the heat off at night.
By prpl_trtl
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:13C is about 55F, so that's just fine for a VFT dormancy. Just be sure not to fluctuate the temperature so much while keeping it inside, such as blasting hot air during the day then turning the heat off at night.
I'm keeping that in mind. But when there is sunny days i put VFT outside, 4 hours of direct sunlight, and later i bring HER back inside in shadow... This dormancy is very stressful for me :)
By Veronis
It'll only freeze if temp drops to 0 or below. You have to be more careful since it's in a small pot - freezing temps will cause problems faster for a potted VFT than it would in the wild because the pot will freeze faster than the ground would due to its small size.

13-15 C = 55-59 F, which is right at the temp for dormancy. 60ish and higher (16 C and higher) is pushing close to too warm to trigger dormancy, so you're right in there. :) It should be fine.

Check this FAQ item, keeping in mind that 13 C = 55 F: http://www.flytrapcare.com/venus-fly-tr ... mancy.html

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!