FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have a small living wall indoors, and there's apparently a snail eating the P. emarginata. It has smooth cut-outs on the edges of the leaves, pretty typical snail damage. I've also removed a couple of tiny snails in the past, they came in on some moss, and there must be at least one more on there somewhere.
How do I get rid of it? I know you can use beer in snail traps, but I can't have beer here (it has gluten and gluten-free beer is too expensive to buy just for a tiny trap), and I'm not sure a trap would work for just an individual snail.
I don't want to use neem oil because it burns the heck out of sundew leaves if you get it on the bits that absorb nutrients, and an entire pinguicula is made of absorbing-bits. I'm afraid I'd kill the plant.
Any ideas?
By Fly Trap Hunter
The snails like to come out when its dark and dewy. I had one eating my akai Rhu until I found it. it had a hard shell. we spread salt around the peremeter to keep them away. They climb also. they also will leave a slimey/shiney trail you may find with a flash light.

What would be a natural predater to a snail? a bird? ants?
By riveraXVX
I vote give that snail a firm and stern talking to. (my vote is manual removal also which is a pain but perhaps a stakeout haha)
By Fishkeeper
Birds will eat snails, but natural predators aren't really a solution for an indoor plant.
Salt won't do it, either, the plant is mounted on a living wall which the snail is also somewhere on. I can't apply anything to the wall without it getting to all the plants.

I've turned off the lights and misted the wall, hopefully the snail will come out. If I can find it, I'll chuck it outside- I don't need it dead, just not eating my plant.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Fishkeeper wrote:Birds will eat snails, but natural predators aren't really a solution for an indoor plant.
Salt won't do it, either, the plant is mounted on a living wall which the snail is also somewhere on. I can't apply anything to the wall without it getting to all the plants.

I've turned off the lights and misted the wall, hopefully the snail will come out. If I can find it, I'll chuck it outside- I don't need it dead, just not eating my plant.
a living wall sounds very cool.
By Bhart90
message SUNDEWWOLF or however his name is spelt. He is a snail enthusiast if I ever knew one
By SundewWolf
You don't have to use actual beer, snails like the smell of fermentation so just a yeast packet in some water would be useful as a lure, only the snail won't get drunk and drown with no alcohol content. Snails are active at night or after rains, so the night-time safari might be the best option. Spray the plants down sometime around 8pm, put a bowl with yeast water near the plants, and watch the area for a while until a snail comes out.
By Fishkeeper
The ping is up above the deer skull. The wall is made of Hygrolon, a water-wicking mesh meant for growing epiphytic plants, over a layer of foam. The ping seems happy up there, and this is a species that often grows in moss on cliff faces in the wild. Pretty similar to this setup.

I found a snail and removed it, so hopefully that'll fix the problem, but I don't know if there are more snails. There hasn't been any further damage, so, if there are any more snails, they're eating elsewhere.
Fishkeeper liked this
By riveraXVX
that setup looks awesome, I imagine a lot of that will fill in more over the mesh and eventually just be fully covered right?
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!