0231 (I wanna try some seeds) AnitaB requests D capensis

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.
AnitaB

0231 (I wanna try some seeds) AnitaB requests D capensis

by AnitaB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)

KategoricalKarnivore

Re: I wanna try some seeds

by KategoricalKarnivore » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 pm

You can get free seeds right here. A great guy named Mike runs our community seed bank. flytrapcare-community-seedbank-inventory-t33352.html
A garden to walk in and immensity to dream in--what more could he ask? A few flowers at his feet and above him the stars.
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

Shadowtski
Super User

by Shadowtski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 pm

AnitaB wrote:Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the seed bank.
Would you like to try some Drosera capensis?
It's an easy to grow Sundew.
It grows year-round at normal room temperatures, it's classified as a Sub-Tropical plant.
It does not require any treatment for the seeds to sprout.
It does not require a period of dormancy.

Here is a website with good information on growing Sundews: http://www.growsundews.com
Here is a link to our Seed Bank: https://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/flytrapcare-community-seedbank-inventory-t33352.html

If Drosera capensis looks good to you, let me know.

Good growing,
Mike

boarderlib

by boarderlib » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

While I generally won't recommend starting by growing from seed. If you are dead set on it, start with some drosera like capensis, spatulata/tokaiensis, natalensis (all should grow good year round). I have personally started leaning more to temperate stuff capillaris, intermedia, and my personal favorite filiformis at least for drosera.

Starting with drosera from seed will reward you far quicker than starting seed from VFT, sarracenia, or any of the other genus just because of length of time it takes to get a mature flowering plant. I've personally grown drosera from seed and had them flower in 4 months (spatulata). On average it takes a VFT or sarracenia two years to flower from seed.

If I were you I would get a healthy established VFT plant, and get some drosera seeds. Get those going, and once they are sprouting, then pick up some VFT seeds. Only get them from reputable people or places though. Fresh VFT seeds are going to be slim pickings right now, since they flower in spring. Here in about 3 months they should be readily available.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AnitaB

by AnitaB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:14 pm

yeah, I'm already looking at already established VFT's as I tried seeds last year.

Shadowtski
Super User

Re: 0231 (I wanna try some seeds) AnitaB requests D capensis

by Shadowtski » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:30 pm

AnitaB wrote:Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)

Order received.
Your order number is 0231.
I'll PM you shortly with an address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

Good growing,
Mike

FlyTrap Hunter

by FlyTrap Hunter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 am

AnitaB wrote:yeah, I'm already looking at already established VFT's as I tried seeds last year.
I see you have already ordered seeds but you can get more in 30 days.
The Burmanii Humpty Do is a fast and easy grower. I just got my seeds from Mike and I believe the seeds germinated in a week or less and they are growing strong. They are a beautiful dark red/purple. They sparkle like jewels. They have given me the most instant gratification, more than most other seedlings because most Droserae seedlings are so tiny and slow slow slow growing. I think Venus fly traps are painfully slow to grow from seed. My suggestion would be to get a pot of baby traps from the Fly Trap Store. Or buy just one fly trap. It's safe to say you will get whats promised from Matt and Leah. Also, I have had really good success with sundew leaf cuttings.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Shadowtski
Super User

by Shadowtski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 pm

SASE received.
Order fulfilled.
Return envelope going out in today's mail.
Thank you for your order.

Good growing,
Mike

AnitaB

by AnitaB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm looking forward to my new seeds. I'll try the Burmanii Humpty Do next time. I may order more in 30 days if they are still available. Thank you for the sundrews.

Return to Seed Bank