FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By AnitaB
Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)
By Shadowtski
AnitaB wrote:Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)
Hi,
Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the seed bank.
Would you like to try some Drosera capensis?
It's an easy to grow Sundew.
It grows year-round at normal room temperatures, it's classified as a Sub-Tropical plant.
It does not require any treatment for the seeds to sprout.
It does not require a period of dormancy.

Here is a website with good information on growing Sundews: http://www.growsundews.com
Here is a link to our Seed Bank: flytrapcare-community-seedbank-inventory-t33352.html

If Drosera capensis looks good to you, let me know.

Good growing,
Mike
By boarderlib
While I generally won't recommend starting by growing from seed. If you are dead set on it, start with some drosera like capensis, spatulata/tokaiensis, natalensis (all should grow good year round). I have personally started leaning more to temperate stuff capillaris, intermedia, and my personal favorite filiformis at least for drosera.

Starting with drosera from seed will reward you far quicker than starting seed from VFT, sarracenia, or any of the other genus just because of length of time it takes to get a mature flowering plant. I've personally grown drosera from seed and had them flower in 4 months (spatulata). On average it takes a VFT or sarracenia two years to flower from seed.

If I were you I would get a healthy established VFT plant, and get some drosera seeds. Get those going, and once they are sprouting, then pick up some VFT seeds. Only get them from reputable people or places though. Fresh VFT seeds are going to be slim pickings right now, since they flower in spring. Here in about 3 months they should be readily available.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By AnitaB
yeah, I'm already looking at already established VFT's as I tried seeds last year.
By Shadowtski
AnitaB wrote:Not sure exactly what I want as I am new to VFT's so I'll leave it up to you ...Something easy to grow . I tried last year but no sprouts. I'm looking forward to trying again as I've had n interest in carnivorous plants for some time. Hope tp hear from you soon. :)
Order received.
Your order number is 0231.
I'll PM you shortly with an address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

Good growing,
Mike
By FlyTrap Hunter
AnitaB wrote:yeah, I'm already looking at already established VFT's as I tried seeds last year.
I see you have already ordered seeds but you can get more in 30 days.
The Burmanii Humpty Do is a fast and easy grower. I just got my seeds from Mike and I believe the seeds germinated in a week or less and they are growing strong. They are a beautiful dark red/purple. They sparkle like jewels. They have given me the most instant gratification, more than most other seedlings because most Droserae seedlings are so tiny and slow slow slow growing. I think Venus fly traps are painfully slow to grow from seed. My suggestion would be to get a pot of baby traps from the Fly Trap Store. Or buy just one fly trap. It's safe to say you will get whats promised from Matt and Leah. Also, I have had really good success with sundew leaf cuttings.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!