FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By nessie
Good Evening,

I recently purchased some Venus Fly Trap seeds and planted them in a small container. I used some Venus Fly Trap specialty soil in a small container. The soil is less than 1" deep. I noticed the other day that a couple of seeds began to sprout. I am at a loss on what steps to take next. I have tried to research online but I found many of the articles confusing.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.
By CPgrower
Just keep them moist and humid. :) They should grow well! I'm not sure how long 1" soil will hold them. The roots get rather long as they grow. Someone else will have to comment on that. :) Make sure you are using RO, rain, or distilled water as well.
By nessie
Thank you for your input.

I have been using distilled water with a spray bottle.

Do I need to re-plant them or do I wait a little longer?
CPgrower wrote:Just keep them moist and humid. :) They should grow well! I'm not sure how long 1" soil will hold them. The roots get rather long as they grow. Someone else will have to comment on that. :) Make sure you are using RO, rain, or distilled water as well.
By Daniel_G
You can wait a few monthes before you replant them, as replanting them now would probably kill them :(
By Grey
Congratulations on your new seedlings!

FlyTrapCare actually has a wonderful article on growing venus fly traps from seed, which can be found here. They recommend waiting at least two weeks after the seedlings have emerged before replanting them. They also recommend waiting until they have their first trap leaves forming, which is what I am doing.

My oldest seedling is 12 days old and has yet to fully escape from its seed casing. I'm estimating it'll be anywhere up to two months before it'll resemble its adult counterparts, and I may leave it a further month before replanting them -- as I'm not very confident.
Grey liked this
By nessie
Hi Grey,

Please keep us updated with your progress as we are on the same page ;)

Grey wrote:Congratulations on your new seedlings!

FlyTrapCare actually has a wonderful article on growing venus fly traps from seed, which can be found here. They recommend waiting at least two weeks after the seedlings have emerged before replanting them. They also recommend waiting until they have their first trap leaves forming, which is what I am doing.

My oldest seedling is 12 days old and has yet to fully escape from its seed casing. I'm estimating it'll be anywhere up to two months before it'll resemble its adult counterparts, and I may leave it a further month before replanting them -- as I'm not very confident.

Well, I'm just astonished! I received the seed ord[…]

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

Water Quality

That's true, but I think zero water pitcher is b[…]

Sarracenia and Drosera for Sale!

Are the Drosera still available?? Are the Droser[…]

What the f-

I think it was a result of pesticides and / or t[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!