FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By CPgrower
I moved some posts from another thread to this one so that I can post updates in the right section of the forum!

Background: Ordered a mystery box of 5 plants from FTS, along with Maroon Monster and Pirhana vft's. The box included Czech Giants and Pink Venus vft's! All plants looked great as always! :lol: I also got a few D. dielsiana! I already had the sarracenia and some typical vft's.

Plants are planted! Hurray! And here are the pics.
The materials-
The amazing plants-
Drainage/aeration holes! The ring was filled with sphagnum moss and up to the holes, then a weed blocking sheet was put in to keep the substrate from washing out.
My bf's bro put to work! Rinsing sand- :D
Layering up and mixing peat with sand-
Dirt to the top! The ground is wet from the drainage holes; they work for extra water!-
Planting!-
One of the typicals I had-
Yay-

Okay! It's been about 2 weeks since planting. There is a tube at the back side of the planter. It was installed to allow for more aeration (in addition to the drill drainage holes) and for bottom watering. The only problem so far have been the two plants that collapsed. They can be seen in xr280xr's post (http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/why-i ... 14168.html) along with one xr280xr is having trouble with as well. Other than that, the plants seem happy. The dews are working on making new dew and some of the traps have been fed earwigs that were found while cleaning the patio. :lol:
I'm wondering if the black is going to be a problem in the future with really hot summer days. I'm afraid it may soak up too much heat. May have to paint it white at some point. :(
Czech Giant
Red Piranha
Typicals (although I'm noticing some pink show up on the leaves, is that normal for typical vft's? I know they can go red, but pink? :shock: )

Pink Venus

Thanks for viewing! :D

*Removed some pictures to make room for more later on the thread! (3/16)
*Edit name for update (7/13)
Last edited by CPgrower on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CPgrower, CPgrower, CPgrower liked this
By Matt
All of the plants look great and ready for the growing season in their comfortably large bog planter :)
CPgrower wrote:I'm wondering if the black is going to be a problem in the future with really hot summer days. I'm afraid it may soak up too much heat. May have to paint it white at some point.
Yeah, you might want to do that. It's hard to tell how thick that pot is, but in direct sunlight it could get quite hot.
CPgrower wrote:Typicals (although I'm noticing some pink show up on the leaves, is that normal for typical vft's? I know they can go red, but pink? )
"Typicals" have an extremely wide range of characteristics. All a "typical" flytrap really is, is an unnamed flytrap. There are lots of named flytraps that are more typical than some really nice unnamed "typical" flytraps, especially some of the seed-grown flytraps that Steve and I sell in the FlytrapStore. But then, of course, there are the freaky and unusual flytraps, like Wacky Traps, Trichterfalle, and Korean Melody Shark for example, or the giant flytraps, like Jaws, B52, A2 and DC XL, that definitely fall outside the range of what most people would consider typical.
By CPgrower
Here are some updates. The last photos were taken about a week or two ago.

I added sphagnum moss to help with dehydration. The drosera look like they are goners. After a cold night, they were never the same. :oops: Embarrassing. I thought they could go outside, but they probably needed to adjust first. The others are doing mostly okay. I think Steve said they were technically ready to come out of dormancy (vft's). But as the weather is hot, cold, warm, hot, freezing I think they went back into dormancy due to the mostly low temperature nights here in VA. Today was up to 70*F though! In a few days it's supposed to be 24*F, so I will just bring it in for the night rather than cover it back up, which is what I did just before the snow here. Now they are uncovered, and growing lots of new wee leaves!

You will also notice the planter has been painted! Gotta keep those plants nice and cool! Both 8-) and temp. Haha. Bad joke.

Le patio! XD
*Twinkle, twinkle*
New leaves! Was trying to show what I think is the top of a flower stalk, but it's too small and too far down to see on a picture yet.

Thanks for looking! Will post some updates soon when lots more leaves are sprouting, aaaand hopefully some flower stalks! :D

*Removed pictures to make room for more later! (3/16)
Last edited by CPgrower on Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By English Springer
Nice set-up that will have lots of room to grow this season,,,
Keep updatiing the pics!

Peace
ES

Edit: Yes keep an eye on the temps at night and always good to acclimate them slowly. I am not too fr from you in VA and while it is warm now, winter is not over most likely!
By CPgrower
Okay, so new shipment of plants from the fabulous FTS! The plants were added to the bog and some older typicals and some of the new plants were added to a bog for my dad's garden. I'm working on building it up now with plants, then will get them acclimated to south sun outside, then the container will be lowered into the ground in his garden later this summer.

Also, I brought in my bog due to the crazy weather. The old and even new traps were being damaged by the frequent drops from high to very low temps. They are in a huge south-facing window (same light as the patio), but are inside so that they can start to grow, grow, grow! I'm really excited. The plants that really got hit hard, are starting to grow new traps. I am relieved about that! I am hoping these will all do fine now!

Anyways, enjoy the pics!
B52 (with flower stalk!!!) Going to cut the stalk and try to get plants from the base. I want to really see this plant shine during the growing season.
Jaws
Typical with flower stalk emerging further! Now you can actually see it. Plan on letting this one flower, so I can get some seed. This is a very vigorous plant with large traps. :D
Crimson Sawtooth
Piranha
C Giants
Pinkies
M Monster
Seed Grown (one of the three...although the third is down to one trap)

The start of my dad's bog-
There are some wee jaws, typicals, and crimson sawtooth!

Thanks for viewing!
By CPgrower
Okay, so I took some pictures out of the posts. I think ppl (that wanted to) had a chance to see the ones I took out, and this creates more space for some later! I plan on updating again soon with pictures, but for now...

The two bogs were moved outside yesterday. It was a relatively mild day (overcast with intermittent full sun). They seem to be doing fine so far in terms of sun.

A few plants in my dad's bog seem to have suffered from root rot. Not entirely sure, and waiting to see if they come back.

There are lots of flower stalks appearing! Most the vft varieties have one! I am only going to let the typical I have go to seed. The other stalks will be cut and planted next to the plant from which they came!

Something I noticed next to the a jaws or maroon m (can't recall) is a flower stalk coming from nowhere! I have no idea what is going on, but I will post about that too with the all important pictures!
By CPgrower
Well, I kept the D. dielsiana plants around after they fried outside. I put them in the greenhouse and almost ditched them a few times. Now one has a new plant coming up from between the dead leaves! Victory!

Also, when trying to determine the origin of the flower stalk from nowhere...it broke off. :( Fail. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything else comes it. It seemed to have a leaf along side it, but it was too small to tell at the time.

The B52 caught a bug, but it chewed its way out! So sad.

Also got a vft typical from Strange's (greenhouse/garden center), where I now work (!), and planted it in my dad's bog. The first night about 4 traps were triggered with bugs inside! Very impressive. The traps are bright red/orange, so I think that helped attract the buggies.

Typical is almost ready to flower (the one I've mentioned before), and other stalks are on their way up.

That's all for now!
By CPgrower
Wow, it's been over a year since my last post on this bog! That's crazy. Oh yeah, and we now have a house! No more little patio. Lol.

Here some picture updates with newest last....
A sharpie was the only thing I had on hand for size comp on that B52. Lol!

Randoms...

Traded this beaut (Crimson Saw) recently for a reg sawtooth (seen in bog)...

Some changes I've made to the bog...
Remove the bottom stand and place bog within another pot used to hold water.
The plants have changed a bit, but most of the plants pictured above have been there for at least a year and are original.
The Sarracenia plants in the pictures are the ones that look like twigs in the first few pictures when the bog was first established. I had to pull them due to size.

---------
Here is an update on the bog I put together for my dad as well (from beginning of the spring)! Doing great. I need to go see if any of his plants need some division pulling...or as I like to say "(legal...I bought them) harvesting." :P It's way more full than this now, especially the Sarr. He said it's taking over! May need to be pulled and planted around the bog. I'll try to get him to send some pictures that I can post.
CPgrower liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!