FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
I've heard a lot of mixed reports about rareexoticseeds so it's hard to say. I'm sure Nauz's seeds will be good though. One thing you should remember is that germination rates are highly variable. Some species will have nearly 100% germination while others you'll be lucky to get 10%.
By ironcore21
boarderlib wrote:All I want is one of the Nep seeds I sowed from them to grow (truncata). All of other Nep seeds were given to my wife to grow. She's the one of us most interested in Neps.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
I have some truncata seeds going now too If all goes well I'm sure I'll have a few to give away . Image Image

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
By ironcore21
A seller on fb Rick from M-Azing carnivores in Canada is were I got the bulk of them it's my first time growing from seed and It's also my 1st time buying from him so there's a lot of uncertainties lol the rest I got from Nauz hopefully I'm lucky enough to make these bad boys grow.

By nimbulan
I got 2 batches of seeds from Rick back in June. Got about 10% germination on one, other one looks like a dud. It seems pretty typical of Nepenthes seeds based on my experience and what I've read online.

He does grow a lot of seeds himself and sells the plants, but only in Canada obviously.
By ironcore21
nimbulan wrote:I got 2 batches of seeds from Rick back in June. Got about 10% germination on one, other one looks like a dud. It seems pretty typical of Nepenthes seeds based on my experience and what I've read online.

He does grow a lot of seeds himself and sells the plants, but only in Canada obviously.
Well that blows, oh well at least I didn't spend a fortune he was a having a 3 $ sale on all nep seeds the ones I'm really interested in are the ones I got recently by the way do you recall your chosen media and conditions to try and germinate them?

By nimbulan
I use straight LFS with a heating pad that heats the soil surface up to about 78F during the day and off at night (night temp is ambient.) I I keep the pots covered but open them up and give the seeds a quick spray with a spray bottle every morning. I do have to be a bit careful the first couple days after sowing because the seeds get knocked around by the water drops but they settle in and stick better once they've been sprayed a couple times.

This method has been working very well for me. I've gotten anywhere from 10-80% germination rates for most seed batches. The only ones that have failed I could put down to not having enough seeds to guarantee a viable one, the seeds being too old, or in the case of the ones I got from Rick, I'm pretty sure that one batch came from a pod that had been infected with fungus which killed all the seeds (it's known to happen) and there's no way to know without attempting to germinate them.
By Greenthumbs Garden
I just ordered some Nepenthe's seed from a grower in France, they were harvested in November around 18-20th, any advice on how to germinate, i was thinking maybe a day in some ro water to soak and then in LFS, how long normaly do they take to germinate?
By nimbulan
See my post 2 above yours. I should also add it's highly recommended to chop up LFS that's used to germinate Nepenthes seeds so the plants are easier to separate later. I've never heard of anyone soaking Nepenthes seeds and I doubt it's useful.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
I used chopped or milled lfs to plant almost all my seeds. Lfs regularly is long and strandy, and is much harder to seperate roots from it later.
As for soaking nep seeds in water, I think that's only goign to increase the risk of mold.
Albermarlessounds is a poacher on eBay, but his seeds are fresh and will germinate. I (sort of?) recomend him, as I don't support poaching, but his nep seeds are good.
By PetroleumJunkie412
Dr GreenThumb wrote:I just ordered some Nepenthe's seed from a grower in France, they were harvested in November around 18-20th, any advice on how to germinate, i was thinking maybe a day in some ro water to soak and then in LFS, how long normaly do they take to germinate?

For better or worse, I just planted some of Nauz's seed in 1 inch net pots with milled lfs and perlite as the primary media, and put about 1/4 inch of CPN's nep mix on top. Their mix is mostly peat with coarse silica sand, perlite, and fir bark mixed in. Seed was placed on top of everything, misted, placed in a tray with about 1/4 an inch of water in the bottom, and ziplock bagged for high humidity. So, the thought is to increase the soil contact of the seed and still have available drainage. I'd take a photo and post it tonight, but let's be serious, I'm far too lazy right now. :P
By PetroleumJunkie412
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Guys, whatever you do, don't order from that guy in Spain.
...please tell me you didn't order the hamata x rajah seed...

Because I did. And I was leery on ordering it in the first place. Seemed too good to be true.

Sticky idea for the Nepenthes forum: seed vendor list of trusted and fraudulent sources? Might save us all some heartache...
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!